• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM's freq and Samsung B-Die[?]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oddvar Ashborn

Hello there folks,

i'm in the process of building a new rig, but i currently have some doubts regarding the RAM.
First of all, i'm going to install an i9 9900KF, but since the new Ryzens are the ones who greatly benefit from a higher frequency, would i notice any difference between 3000Mhz and 3200Mhz on my Intel CPU? I'm asking this cause the RAMs i like the most are the TridentZ RGB, which are 3000Mhz, instead of the 3200Mhz non-RGB ones.

Furthermore, by looking around the internet i didn't quite understand if the Samsung B-Die also tends to benefit Ryzen more rather than Intel. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks a bunch

Short answer: probably not much.

Long answer: it depends on what you're using it for: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram-speed,5951.html

Where are you shopping for memory? In the US or elsewhere? The RGB should be fairly common in 3200MHz. At least on newegg, 2x8GB of the 3200MHz CL16 is $99 USD while the 3600MHz CL18 is only $10 more expensive, while the 3000MHz CL16 is only $5 less expensive.

Yes Ryzen in general benefits more from faster memory more than Intel because for all Ryzen 1 and 2 series and most situations with Ryzen 3 series, the memory speed is tied to the speed at which data can travel between cores, as well as between the core and the IMC. Intel has a different architecture that isn't as dependent on memory speed, but per the link above, it can have an impact. B-die has classically been the highest performing memory IC, and it still is usually capable of the tightest timings at a particular speed (but it doesn't hold the sub-ambient speed record, fwiw). With the Ryzen 1 and somewhat Ryzen 2, it was substantially more compatible with Ryzen when overclocked, compared to other ICs, but a lot of that has been improved through BIOS updates and it's really not an issue at all for Ryzen 3 series.

Last edited:
Short answer: probably not much.

Long answer: it depends on what you're using it for: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram-speed,5951.html

Where are you shopping for memory? In the US or elsewhere? The RGB should be fairly common in 3200MHz. At least on newegg, 2x8GB of the 3200MHz CL16 is $99 USD while the 3600MHz CL18 is only $10 more expensive, while the 3000MHz CL16 is only $5 less expensive.

Yes Ryzen in general benefits more from faster memory more than Intel because for all Ryzen 1 and 2 series and most situations with Ryzen 3 series, the memory speed is tied to the speed at which data can travel between cores, as well as between the core and the IMC. Intel has a different architecture that isn't as dependent on memory speed, but per the link above, it can have an impact. B-die has classically been the highest performing memory IC, and it still is usually capable of the tightest timings at a particular speed (but it doesn't hold the sub-ambient speed record, fwiw). With the Ryzen 1 and somewhat Ryzen 2, it was substantially more compatible with Ryzen when overclocked, compared to other ICs, but a lot of that has been improved through BIOS updates and it's really not an issue at all for Ryzen 3 series.

Hi there, thanks for your time.
The primary use will be gaming, and i'm getting an i9 9900KF. Yes 3200Mhz RGB are indeed fairly common (i'm from EU btw), but i was actually trying to put together 3 variables: Dual Rank, SS B-Die and 32GB. Depending on which is less important between SS B-Die and a higher frequency, i might be able to have more choice.
Keep in mind that i don't plan on overclocking my RAM except for enabling the XMP.

If overclocking isn't going to be part of the requirements I would just get the speed/timings you need/want and plug it in. Intel's IMC is fairly robust, and frequency will be far more important than whose IECs are on the sticks.

If overclocking isn't going to be part of the requirements I would just get the speed/timings you need/want and plug it in. Intel's IMC is fairly robust, and frequency will be far more important than whose IECs are on the sticks.

So what you are saying is, frequency over B-Die, right?

Unless you're going to take your RAM to the outer edges of stability (speed/stick count) or your CPUs IMC the same, then frequency wins over who made the dies.

For most games you should be just fine with 16GB as well. There are a few exceptions, such as DCS: World.

Unless you're going to take your RAM to the outer edges of stability (speed/stick count) or your CPUs IMC the same, then frequency wins over who made the dies.
In this case i was thinking about getting the Dominator RGB 3200Mhz, but i had a little doubt. The MOBO i'm about to get is 4 slot dual channel. Can i buy a 4x8GB pack of Dominator or are those designed to be used in quad channel so i have to buy two 2x8GB??

For most games you should be just fine with 16GB as well. There are a few exceptions, such as DCS: World.

Yeah i know but i feel more comfortable this way because i might do something more demanding, and i'm feeling a little restricted right now with 16GB. Also i want this PC to last for a while and it might survive longer with 32GB.

I would go with two 16 GB memory sticks if you not using most of the memory reading Task Manger memory usage.

Back