• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random crashes, freezes, reboots, shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
update:

I've successfully secure erased both of my ssd's and I will continue to troubleshoot.

I've installed windows on both ssd's but will continue to try and troubleshoot the Samsung before I swap over to my OCZ.

I will also use a qualified gpu driver instead of beta...

I'll report back later...

Can you put in known good SATA cables?

I'm almost afraid to write this but since Sunday all has been ok.

I did the secure erase on both ssd's and used qualified AMD driver instead of beta even though the qualified is now going on 4 months without an update.

I have yet to plug in my 2nd SSD, it's currently not plugged in.

Will update later in the week.

I'm almost afraid to write this but since Sunday all has been ok.

I did the secure erase on both ssd's and used qualified AMD driver instead of beta even though the qualified is now going on 4 months without an update.

I have yet to plug in my 2nd SSD, it's currently not plugged in.

Will update later in the week.

Yay, good news!

If the lockups happen when you plug the second SSD back in I would call that drive bad.

agreed, though the spinner has been connected the whole time :p

I need access to my files somehow!?

at this point I think I can safely say that my issue has been solved. I will plug in the second SSD and see if the system holds but I'm going to say the issue was one or more of the following.

1) not secure erasing ssd's before clean installs and hence there was some error on one of my drives.

2) using AMD's beta drivers instead of qualified.

Thanks to all those who helped.

Nothing worse than having to RMA hardware especially if you're like me and have no spare parts while replacements are being shipped back to you.

and I just crashed...and I hope it's due to plugging that OCZ SSD.

My question is this...can my OCZ SSD crash my system even though it's just sitting there empty secure erased doing nothing?

I'm not running my os off it nor was it being used for anything...I simply plugged it in today when I got home from work and viola...1 hour later, crash...my first crash since last Saturday.

Last edited:
All signs point to the SSD. Have you tried a different SATA cable/port?

Did you get BSOD?

I have no idea because I went afk, came back and my system was in the screen where it asks if I want to load in safe mode bc the system didn't shut down properly.

I haven't tried any other SATA ports yet, I unplugged it and now I'm going to wait again to see if there are any crashes.

I also don't have any additional SATA cables atm...different port I can try no problem.

I can also try to use the SSD in my laptop and see if it crashes that. I've been debating about tossing out the crappy 5400rpm drive and using the SSD instead.

All signs point to the SSD. Have you tried a different SATA cable/port?

^^^This.
Sometimes certain hardware doesn't play well together. Not saying the SSD is bad..........yet. It just might not like the combo of the other SSD and spinner that's in your system. Try it in your lappy. If it works, then you know. ;)

^^^This.
Sometimes certain hardware doesn't play well together. Not saying the SSD is bad..........yet. It just might not like the combo of the other SSD and spinner that's in your system. Try it in your lappy. If it works, then you know. ;)

I switched SATA ports on my mobo, no crashes yet but I believe that the SATA cable wasn't completely plugged into the SSD, I believe when I was in there checking and switching ports the connection was loose...maybe it's just me, just saying...

I'll try the previous SATA port in a day or so and see what happens.

I really can't conclude anything, if I get another crash, I'm ripping that OCZ SSD out for sure...

I switched back to the original SATA and system is stable now for 2 days and counting.

I think I can close this post. I haven't had any crashes in a week and to be honest I still don't know what was causing them.

I didn't change any SATA ports, or cables but who knows, lose connection?

I did install up to date SATA drivers, which I do believe was one thing I was missing.

I was under the impression that the chipset driver contained those.

Thanks to all who helped me troubleshoot this issue.

Back