• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random crashes, freezes, reboots, shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most recently I started to get a random black screen for a couple of seconds...clearly a GPU perhaps driver issue.

Thankfully after 4 months AMD has released a new qualified driver yesterday so I'm giving that a try.

It never ends? :)

BSOD, had my friend read the minidump file and here's what we got.

ntoskrnl.exe, something about paging to an unpageable location...from what I looked at, it's a driver error, or memory/hdd but I've tested my hardware so I dunno...

What is your experience with this error?

Thanks in advance

Paging to an unpageable location for me is generally an OS error. Could be right back to a flaky drive also.

cool man, thanks, I've yet again unplugged the OCZ ssd which isn't really doing anything for me anyway...we'll see how it goes.

I gotta say, I love you guys and the community we have here. I know there are many forums and most of the time I can get help at one or another but I just have to say that it's nice that we help each other out.

Even if your rails at the Molex look fine, they can be lower on the motherboard, especially near the CPU VRMs. This is due to resistance in the ATX wires, the resistance in the connector pins on the motherboard, and the motherboard's copper foil traces.

Then you have the invisible trouble maker which can hide behind very good looking voltages, be it at the molex or on the board, and that is voltage ripple...

As you load down a power supply rail, the voltage ripple (alternating voltage fluctuations sitting on top of the DC voltage) will increase... The ATX Specification states that for the 3.3V, 5V, -5V and 5VSB rails the ripple has to be 50mV or less, and for the 12V and -12V 120mV or less...

Aging power supplies, cheap power supplies, unusual cross loading situations or an overloaded power supply can cause the ripple on a rail to go way above spec and this will cause anything from random resets, sudden hangs (with or without graphical corruption) or BSODs/Kernel panics.

Just because your rail voltages seem fine doesn't mean they are, the only way to tell for sure is with an Oscilloscope on AC Couple and a vertical setting of 100mV or lower.

Thanks, I haven't had any issues since my last post, April 27th and I've connected everything back up. From my other post, I've also found that my HDMI cable was going bad and I've replaced that. Other than that, no crashes period.

Back