• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Randomly rebooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Azbok

Registered
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem here and I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

Its a bit long, I apologize, but I think every bit of info counts.

Ok, a while ago I started playing Unreal Tournament 2004 with a ATI Radeon 9800 SE. When I played the game in detail higher than "Very Low" the computer would reboot mid-game. I didn't notice it rebooting at any certain time, or when any certain action was performed. I thought it was a cooling problem because whenever it rebooted, my video card was really hot, and the case I had at the time had bad cooling (one fan on the side, one in the back, and one on the PSU). Since then, I have purchased an ATI Radeon 9800 pro and a new sound card (before I was using onboard sound), I had the same problem with that video card as well. I also purchased a new case. This case has 2 fans in the front, 2 in the back, 1 on the side, 1 on the top, and 2 on the Power Supply. Everything seemed to be running fine with all my settings in "Higher" with the new case. But today, it rebooted on me randomly again. I opened up the case, and felt the video card and it wasn't hot at all. I felt almost everything (RAM, HDD, VideoCard, SoundCard), the only thing that was hot was a small little black thing that looks like a heatsink that was on my motherboard (about 1.5x1.5 inches).

I would like to note, I have been playing doom 3 on this computer also, and have yet to have this same problem.

Here are my system specs if they help at all.

Asus a7v8x-x motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (used to have 9800 SE)
AMD Athalon XP 2500+ "barton" 1.8 ghz (not sure how good the cooling on this is)
6 channel sound card (used to be using onboard sound)
Lite-on DVD-RW
420 watt PSU (used to have 400 with old case)
512 ram (can't remember what type, I think its generic)

Nothing is overclocked, nothing is modded really.

The only thing I can really think of is maybe the CPU is overheating for some reason, if it is, I might be able to get a better heatsink for it. Or maybe a hardware compatibility issue.

If ANYONE could provide me with ANY help at all, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Please contact me, or reply here.

AIM - L Lok1 L
MSN - [email protected]
ICQ - 260354666

Personally I need more information than this... I need to know what your temps are at IDLE, and load (I recommend using MBM5 for this)... I recommend to run memtest86+ to check out your ram... Who is the maker of the PSU, and also it could be that your northbridge could be over-heating...

Back