• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ras pi internet question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

ok bear with me, we all know I got issues =) but its been some time since I brought my bone head here for help. So my house surveillance dvr system is in my garage and not connected to the internet but can be.. so I have this ras pi 3b I got to play with just sitting around so I hooked it up in my garage and its has a working wireless connection. When I hook up the drv system via lan cable to the pi. I see an ip with in the dvr internet setup. But I cant connect to the internet with the dvr system, But I can on the pi so I know the connection is there... or is this even possible since Im connecting through the lan port? lan port to lan port?

Im not familiar with the pi settings to know what or if I should change anything and thought since i'm about to hit the sack Id ask and maybe there would be an answer before i get off work tomorrow and break it or I mean play with it.

what i'm trying to do: camera - DVR - PI - router - Internet

thanks a ton guys.
rob

I think that the Pi is just adding more complication to this idea. The security system has to get DHCP from your network or be configured to use your gateway and DNS. The Pi would either have to act as a bridge or a repeater but the DVR needs to be programed to use your excisting network.

Here is a low cost possibility for a purpose built device. I have not vetted it fully so if you are interested, look at it more carefully. I think it will do what you want with less fussing.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833389031

Back