• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raspberry Pi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Looking for abit of advice/help here. I have a Android TV stick I am using and I was thinking to use the steam in home streaming after testing this on a laptop and my main desktop machine. Problem I am having is that I can't run the software since the Android OS is lower than android 5.0 so it can't install the steam beta client. I mainly use the stick for Kodi streaming/live tv since the aerial at my place is busted so all my content is online streaming when I do watch.

What I am thinking to do is buy a Raspberry Pi for Retro Pie aswell for the nostolgia, essentially what I want to do is have one Raspberry Pi with Retro Pie installed and then with Android 8.0 installed aswell.

Android - For Kodi/Apk steaming/running the steam apk (my desktop runs an AMD card not keen on parsec since I have seen good results with steam stream).
Retro Pie - For all the console gaming for alot of older stuff (sega master system/mega drive and playstation/psp)

• My question is how would I go about having a dual boot install of Android and Retro Pie running?
  • Also if I was to install the latest android version would it work properly (ie wifi so I can actually make use of the internet on it) and has anyone already done this themselves and confirm which version is working properly on the Pi.
  • My last question is which Raspberry Pi would be the best one to get to do all of this/is Raspberry Pi 2 enough to handle this or do I need Pi 3 if so why? (Try to keep cost down as much as possible)

My other option is buying another TV stick which I am not keen to do since it most likely won't get OS updates and im not keen on spending up too much money.

Cheers,

Bandit

Wait for a deal on the Pi 3+ - got mine for $25. It does run pretty hot so plan on adding a heatsink right away. A heatsink salvaged from an old motherboard works nicely.

Funny you should mention that I saw a video on youtube where they did just that and cutdown an old heat sink off a motherboard for the Pi think it was in a video where the guy did a pi with a case that looked like the old playstation 1.

There is a website I think its camelcamelcamel.com where you can check amazon price history so far the lowest price is what they have it on sale for now $28.00 (not incl $4 shipping) I think thats for a Pi 3 B.

I have my raspberry pi 3 b+ now.

I am looking at a pre built image just curious if its easy enough to remove roms/artwork for the stuff I don't want so I can add my own stuff to up (basically wanting to keep the theme/box art consistent).

Also curious if I use a pre built image can I flash that to a partition then install another OS on another partition?

Considering these options not even sure if possible;

Retropie with steam/kodi + android os
or
Retro pie + android with kodi/steam on it

Basically just trying to replace my dated Android TV stick with this and so I can retro game on it aswell.

If anyone has knowledge I would appreciate the help.

For dual boot... "I have an Android/Kodi sd card I programmed myself..both work great..rasp pi 3..pull out the Retropie card and pop in the Android card..easy peasy"
Ameridroid has just about everything including the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for $40. Call 'em.
https://ameridroid.com/. I want the ODROID-XU4. For $20 more it is worth it. Just have to figure out what I want out of it. I think I would build a firewall box in a linux distro first.

So could I do this with USB stick?

Android +Kodi on USB stick then retropie on my sd card??

For dual boot... "I have an Android/Kodi sd card I programmed myself..both work great..rasp pi 3..pull out the Retropie card and pop in the Android card..easy peasy"
Ameridroid has just about everything including the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for $40. Call 'em.
https://ameridroid.com/. I want the ODROID-XU4. For $20 more it is worth it. Just have to figure out what I want out of it. I think I would build a firewall box in a linux distro first.

Back