• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate my upgraded build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

callumwi9htman

Registered
Alright guys I'm new to this forum, I have no idea how it's works but I wanted a second opinion on my
Build.

Recently upgraded and overclocked my build to run 4K monitor and the new gen games, I find that it runs the newer games like dragon age/lords of the fallen on high setting and 4K at about 25-40 FPS.
my buld consists of;

CPU: AMD FX 81250 3.1/OC- 4.2GHz

CPU Cooler: Noctua nh-u9b

GPU: GTX 980 Asus Strix

RAM: 16GB Kingston

PSU: XFX 850 WATT

Storage: 1TB seagate Harddrive

Mobo: Asus m5a78l-m/usb3

Case: Zalman z11 Plus (corsair AF 120mm quiet fans-not stock fans)

Monitor 4K x 2K 28inch Acer

Been slowly upgrading my rig for about a 1 year and a half now, what do you think guys? :D

That motherboard with an 8-Core is a disaster waiting to happen.

You're also lucky that Kingston RAM played nicely with the FX platform.

How come? Stays running below 60 degrees running overclocked, what's would be the issue? And ironically the only two parts in my rig which I've had for 2 years is the CPU and mobo! And yeah I've heard of Kingston not liking the FX platform in some cases

I think bad things are going to happen with a healthy OC on that motherboard. I don't know about the ram issues but I know that bulldozers require a hefty power delivery system to maintain a high overclock or you get a boom. I would think about investing in a more reliable board designed for overclocking that 125 watt chip.

See the section to the left of the socket? That's the VRM.
If you start pushing that CPU hard, you'll be pumping a lot of power through the VRM.
Your board has a 4+1 VRM, where we recommend an 8+2 VRM for any 8-Core FX. Especially when overclocking.

Even worse, your board doesn't even have a heatsink on those components.
What are your socket temperatures? What are you using for checking load temps?

download cpu-id's hardware monitor, load the systen with prime95 blend mode and post a screenshot and we will tell you all about it.

Once you get the board squared away you have to keep in mind, 1x GPU for 4K is a daunting task for anything available ATM.

possibly the 980Ti or the 390x will be able to pull this off ?

If it were me and assuming you have the budget another 980 would be a good investment to play AAA titles at 4k with decent minimum frame rates

if you go this route keep this in mind when choosing a board

why would you get an 80$ motherboard and a 550$ graphics card.... Rest looks good, but man... thats like putting cheap tires on a ferrari :-/

Guess what just happend, my mobo just caught on fire... **** sake xD

Fair enough man haha and my mobo literally just blown out as we speak :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just ordered an asus sabertooth 990FX r2.0 mate, that's hurt my wallet haha good dam it :(

And how would I go about installing all my games? I'll have to reinstall windows but what about my Harddrive? Would I have to reformat it ect?

You can try to just hook everything up, then install the new drivers.
If it works, good deal. If not, you'll have to do a clean install of Windows.

Post pics of the carnage. What blew? Did it actually catch fire?

It may have taken out your CPU/RAM/GPU/etc when it popped. Keep your fingers crossed that these parts will be ok.
This is why you always want to run your build past some knowledgeable people on a forum like this one.
We've seen a few people's boards go into total meltdown over the years. Usually when trying to put too much OC on what was already too much CPU, stock, for the board.

The bare minimum I personally would buy for an 8120/50/8320/50 would be a 970AUD3P by Gigabyte but the Sabretooth or Crosshair V are better buys.

Something you may want to consider now that your system is blown, why not switch to Intel? You CAN buy a $50 board in that case with a $180 i5 and you'll have better gaming performance.

I'll post you a picture in a bit mate I'm just recovering from New Year's Eve haha, and yeah I hope my CPU And GPU are ok, any idea how I would check before my new mobo comes?

I thought with any motherboard you would have to install windows anyway man? And sorry if I sound like a idiot asking these questions I've never built a computer from scratch I've always upgrade them from a stock computer!

A second 980 would be wise--- after switching to Z97.
Its not worth the price difference to me to switch platforms. Sure it leaves a few % performance on the table, but come on... Don't you think you are being dramatic?

Anyway, his stuff blew up as predicted so it doesn't matter now!

Back