• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate the PC im going to build!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
o ya haha i forgot to take the thermal take out, how am i suppose to know if the cpu is locked or not?

o ok, so in order to make the tornado quieter, you have to decrease the fan speed? i thought you just decrease the voltage or something like that (someone told me)

so i guess i could go with the enermax (woohoo lots more cheaper)

You have to check the stepping of the cpu.....if you want to overclock, MAKE sure it's unlocked - it'll make your life easier...

Let me check their web site (you said you want NewEgg...) and see if it says anything over there....

Yeah, it's unlocked....if you saved money...consider getting the 2600+ under AMD Mobile processors...it overclocks better and at lower voltage (when overclocked) than the 2400+ you chose....you should be able to get it to 2.5Ghz no prob....(unless your psu or your ram holds you back....but you won't know that until you get it and try it... :) )

On second thought.... how many case fans are you gonna have??

You should have at least 4 (2 rear + 2 front). Any fans will do...if you only have 2 rear, get another 2 for the front (the ones you mentioned before with the blue led (?) would work and they're cheap. Just take a look at db and cfm....the higher the cfm the better and the lower the db the better (with case fans try to get under 35db - much better if <=30db).

It won't cost too much more ($5 or so maybe less) and it'll really help with the temp of your chipset, ram, cpu, etc.... Otherwise, just get them later if you really don't have the extra $5 or so now...but you should get some as soon as possible for the temps...it'll help you oc more...

Well, anyways, hopefully i've helped you somewhat in deciding what to get and hopefully it works out good for you (or will we be seeing you back here asking for help on oc? ;) )

the case comes with 3 fans, 2 in the rear and one tri color on the side (which i heard is kind of weak) and im getting the aspire blue led fan (to replace the tri color on the side) and ill probly put the tri in the front, or ill make a blow hole at the top (should i put it in the front or the top?)

so ya i have 4 fans

Best setup would be:

2 in rear
2 in front
1 on side
1 at top

Of course, that's if you want 6 fans running... i think your case can have 4 in the front right? Try to have an equal number of fans inhaling air as exhausting air....so if you have 2 rear and one on top, then put one on the side and 2 in the front. The front 2 would be more beneficial to you now rather than only one intake at the side and 3 exhaust (top + 2 rear). it's also ok to have more intake fans than outtake (ex: 4-3 or 3-2)....but not vice versa...

The ALX-800 doesn't compare to an all copper heatsink when coupled with a high cfm fan....... the 947 is only $20 more...better to buy a good hs now rather than a cheap hs now and then buy another one in 6 months or whatever....

is it really? wow well, if i can get other peoples opinions onthe alx-800 sayingits good than hell ya ill get it ($20 less!!) then i can get another fan or 2, ill probly make a blow hole on the top using the tri color, and but 2 fans in the front (would the speeze fans work?)

also since theres those big cheese grater things that block the fan spots in the front and back im going to use a dremel to cut them out, could i use this thing as a grill for it?

http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30216&st

should i do the front ones too? because that might be hard since its in a tight spot

need more feed back on the alx-800

First, don't use that 'grill' thing you posted a pic of....just get some cheap fan grill that protects from the fan but blocks as little of the airflow as possible....

Second, any fan would help you out with airflow within your case....but the higher the cfm the better. If you get fans with low db, then you won't need a rheobus.

ALX-800 is good, but it's definately not better than the 947u....You could get the ALX-800 and save $20...the temp difference may be anywhere in between 2-5 celsius so it's not that much...

You should be ok with the alx-800 if you get the 2600 mobile chip i told you, i've read many people can run at 2.5Ghz with only 1.7V with that thing....That should keep your cpu temps below 50 celsius....as long as you get a good fan for the heatsink (enermax 92mm adjustable, thermaltake smart fan, tornado, etc....).

the speeze fan has 31.73 cfm so ya thats ok

the holes in the grill arent that small, there like 2cm by 2cm i think it should be ok, because the cheapest fan grill at newegg is like $6.00 with shipping

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-202&depa=0

if i get the alx-800 and then the 2600 its like i was just getting the slk-947u because the alx is $20 cheaper but the cpu is $20 more than the 2400

is the only difference between the 2400 and 2600 the stock speed and voltage? hmmmmi dunno

ill probly get the enermax fan so i dont have to get the rheobus, how is that fan ajustable? (speed, db, cfm what?)

o and whats 50 degrees Celcius in fahrenheit? (us doesnt use metric hahaha)

The grills you posted a link for are 1.29..... they're good...

the 2600 will run at lower temps and vcore vs the 2400 at the same o/c. You can also o/c the 2600 more than the 2400....

The enermax fan has a cable thing that comes from it and you adjust the speed of the fan via screwdriver (i leave it at max speed as it's pretty quiet at 35db....actually, i can hardly here it). My video card and northbridge fans are louder.....

yeah, just get the alx-800 then....and run the enermax at full speed...although i still recommend the 947u or even the 900 over the alx-800 (copper is always better than aluminum for cooling).

well those grills are 1.29 plus like $5 shipping (too lazy to check haha)
ill probly just stick witht he 2400 and get the slk 947u and the enermax fan (want to go as cheap as possible)

i think that net thingy would work as the grills

sounds good.... what kind of grill is on the case now? The honeycomb type? If it's similar to the grill you mentioned, there's no point in changing it.... Why don't you buy those grills then from a local computer store? They should be cheap at all stores not just online....plus no shipping costs...so that's another alternative....

its those cheese grater type things haha, what stores would sell those grills? staples? walmart?

probably not...a store that deals in computer sales and service type of thing. Check your phone book in the yellow pages under Computer (at least here in canada that's the way phone books work)...

Forget walmart and stuff like that for computer parts....they only sell your basic stuff....

Did you order anything yet?

My Two Cents

You have done an excellent job of selecting parts and trying to improve your component selection.You last parts list is very strong.The following points are worth considering:
1) You have decided to buy some ram now and no doubt you will sometime add additional ram.Because of this you might decide that the computer you get now will preform at one level and after you add your additional parts you might expect another preformance later.If this is accurate I would consider getting the best cpu you can.This means to step up from an mobile 2400 it would take a additional $11 to go with the 2500 (over the 2400) and a additional $11 to go with the 2600 (over the 2500).This seems to be a wise investment of $11 or $22 more.I would do this even if I had to drop something else and buy it later.This will give you stronger preformance now and more room for growth later.
2) You have selected the Nec floppy.It is a good unit however many people like the Sony and trust the company more than NEC it is the same cost in fact a few cents cheaper.Go with the brand you trust the most.
3) When considering power supplies several factors are important besides the wattage output.That is why so many overclockers are so concerned about the power supply. Each power supply has several "rails" that each
has a output that has to be consistent in a specific range to be reliable enough to be used to overclock.That is why the brand and model of power supply is so important.The power supply that comes with your case is one of the brands that might be good enough.I would try to use it understanding that the overclock I get might be better if I had a more consistant power supply.I would accept what I can get from it and not worry about a better supply until later.

Back