• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Razer Blade 2015 Power limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I am wondering if I can not pull enough power from the wall for my laptop. Both CPU and GPU are at full turbo speeds during gaming on CS:GO. CPU is around 85-90C and GPU is around 65C. Because of this i do not believe either of them are throttling. The framerate is unlimited, but both CPU and GPU are sitting around 70% usage. I want to get the max framerate possible. Do you guys think its a power limit issue? Would getting a higher rated power supply allow the GPU to be used to its full potential?

If the CPU is only running at 70% capacity and still hitting 90c it sounds like to me it is indeed thermally throttling. It has to throttle down to 70% just to keep from exceeding 90c. If it were not throttling and running at 100% I bet it would be running higher than 90c and right up there at Tjmax.

Hottest ive seen it get is 96C. Aida 64 and heaven benchmark running at the same time show no throttling on the CPU. For GPU, the clockspeed never went under 1037mhz so I don't believe that throttled either. Is it possible for the system to throttle the GPU by only allowing it to go up to a max percentage without decreasing clockspeed?

I don't know. But even if the GPU is not throttling does that necessarily mean the CPU is not?

But you have run AIDA64 Extreme during stress testing and that one has a graph that would show if any CPU throttling is taking place. And that would include, I think, throttling caused by any factor, including insufficient power supply.

I worked recently on a customer's laptop whose OEM charging brick was not being recognized by the bios as valid Dell equipment. Something about it was out of spec or the ID chip went out. I don't know what the issue was but the computer would run off the charger without the battery being in place. It would run but since it could not confirm that the charging brick was sufficient to cover the demand, the bios'es response was to throttle the CPU from the stock 2.2 ghz down to .5 ghz in order to conserve power. Not sure if this is of any help but I thought I'd offer it in case.

Did you switch GPU and CPU in your message? The CPU is definitely not throttling. I might see about buying a higher wattage power supply and testing it out. If it doesn't help I can always return it.

Picking up a beefier charger would not be an expensive experiment. There are some good after market options on Amazon. Could it also be a bios issue? Do you have the latest version installed?

I actually can't tell if I am on the most updated version of the bios. I cannot find any information on Razer's website about the bios. My version is current up to Jan/4/2015

You should be able to find the machine's current bios number in the bios and CPU-z will also give it to you in Windows under the motherboard tab. Then you can look on Razor's website to see what is the latest offered and compare the two.

Found this: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-core-updates Apparently the bios updates are handled by the stealth updater tool.

Last edited:
That is for the first edition of the Razer Blade Stealth only. No other information can be found about it on their website.

Back