• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

re-installing windows xp from restore disc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YAMA187

im straight up wiping my hardrive and re installing windows xp. i backed up everythign i needed to but i was wondering if i needed my product key??? because i dont have it.

no you shouldn't need it if your using a restore disc, it should install the key when you install. now if you were using a clean os install disc then you would,but just to be safe you can download a small program and run it to get your current key here

I'm confused by what you are saying. Is this a restore disk or a backup? If it is a backup you made, it will restore it to the point where it was backed up. Meaning, if you had a key registered, yes. If not, please clarify.

I'm trying to do a comPlete re install of windows xp. But it's not letting me boot off the disk

If your CD drive actually shows alongside other options, and you select your CD drive to boot from and then it "acts like the cd isn't even there" that may mean that the CD is not a bootable CD.

You can make a bootable CD and proceed from there or you can make a bootable USB using this: http://wintoflash.com/download/en/

Make sure you modified your Windows XP installation to include AHCI drivers using nLite 1.4.9.1

also if its a windows xp upgrade disc from windows "me" it wont work unless you start by installing windows me then starting the windows xp install while your in windows me.

Back