• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-using windows 7 key?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bubbi

Registered
Hey, I'm going to be re-installing Windows 7 on a new HDD
because I'm getting a new computer.
Would I be able to download a torrent for Windows 7
and use my old Windows 7 key?
This disc only came with the 32bit disk and
I'm trying to download 64bit on my new computer.

thanks!

By the EULA, you can't get the software from anywhere but Microsoft. The risk with getting a torrent is it may be modified, possibly with bad intentions.

I'm not sure if 32 bit and 64 bit versions accept the same keys. Anybody else know?

If it was a retail version of windows 7, you can use the key on the new computer. If it was an OEM version of windows 7, you are not allowed to use it on the new computer.

No need to go get a torrent version of the OS when you can legally download it straight from the source.

I can't link you to the sources, but if you do a google search for Windows 7 iso. The results page should look something like the image below.

Untitled.jpg

The second link on the results page goes to a page where D/L links for ALL versions of Win7 with SP1 are available straight from Microsoft. You simply download the one that you have a legal key for and go on with your life.

PS: As stated by I.M.O.G... If your key is of the OEM type; you are not legally allowed to use it on a 2nd installation, even if you remove the OS from the original PC. You need a retail key in order to do what you want.

Would I be able to download a torrent for Windows 7
Yes you can download your Windows 7 ISO from whereever you want, I personally always download a modified Windows 7 Version with all updates and Service Packs integrated.
As I.M.O.G. stated this is not intended by microsoft on the other did I pay for this product and feel free to use it the way I want. I could download Win 7 from MS and modify it myself but why would I do that if others already did that for me.
This disc only came with the 32bit disk and
I'm trying to download 64bit on my new computer.
The keys activate 32bit and 64bit as well, doesn't make any difference. It is just important to use the correct version of windows with your key.

I think OEM keys are locked to the hardware it was first installed on anyway, at least the MS Supporter told me so when I lost my key for my laptop.

Yes you can download your Windows 7 ISO from whereever you want, I personally always download a modified Windows 7 Version with all updates and Service Packs integrated.
As I.M.O.G. stated this is not intended by microsoft on the other did I pay for this product and feel free to use it the way I want. I could download Win 7 from MS and modify it myself but why would I do that if others already did that for me.

The keys activate 32bit and 64bit as well, doesn't make any difference. It is just important to use the correct version of windows with your key.

I think OEM keys are locked to the hardware it was first installed on anyway, at least the MS Supporter told me so when I lost my key for my laptop.

Thanks for the help on the 32bit/64bit, I wasn't sure on that.

However on the downloading from wherever you want part, technically that isn't accurate. You may feel it is your right, however the EULA that governs your rights by your purchase states otherwise. So technically, we aren't free to use it any way we want. Thats what is cooler about Linux than Windows, and its an advantage open source has which closed source software does not.

Others also commonly download versions and use legitimate keys, so its not that its uncommon, just that we can't recommend doing so. There are legitimate risks, especially if you do not know the group who created the release, and even more so if you go through torrents where there is no way to verify if the release actually came from that group, or if its a re-release by someone who dropped trojans or other malware. A lot of these downloads are infected, as its an easy way to get crap on people's machines who don't know how to filter out the safe warez from the dangerous warez... The aXXo releases are an especially good example of this. When his popularity peaked, tons of downloads were labeled as aXXo that were not legitimate, and many of the illegitimate ones were bugged. The legality, as well as those risks, are why we don't encourage any warez stuff.

I get what you are saying, I just wanted to address that part because our rules about downloading copyrighted stuff are pretty strict, and we have to have a clear position, so that we don't get bothered with DMCA notices.

Microsoft will usually let you reuse your OEM key if it's just an upgrade. I got my key activated with my old PhII X3 720BE and it's even been upgraded to Win8 Pro.

I get what you are saying, I just wanted to address that part because our rules about downloading copyrighted stuff are pretty strict, and we have to have a clear position, so that we don't get bothered with DMCA notices.

And there really is no need to go to third parties for downloading the OS since MS is kind enough to provide direct links to all the versions. Sure; they do make it hard to find said links, but once you know where they are it matters not. And modding the OS to fit your needs is easy enough nowadays that taking a "known to be clean" ISO direct from MS and stripping away the uneeded rif-raf is much easier than hunting down for pre-modded ISOs of "unknown provenance".

Sure; they do make it hard to find said links, but once you know where they are it matters not.
MS Website -> Downloads -> Download center -> windows -> OS Systems.
However I feel the problem, MS doesnt make it easy for people who actually bought the OS to download exactly what they need. On the other hand, I once had to call the MS hotline and they were pretty helpful - at least you get adequate service for your money.
To add what imog said, using modded versions of windows because I feel I can since I paid for it represents soley my personal opinion and just should show possible ways of thinking. This was in no way intended as an advise someone should follow.

If you have a legitimate ISO or Windows disk you can do it yourself with RT Se7en Lite, even set it up so the install is automated and you don't have to do a damn thing except open up a beer and watch. :attn:

MS Website -> Downloads -> Download center -> windows -> OS Systems.

I've been to their DL section countless times and never found a direct link to a downloadable .ISO for any version of any OS. It's all good though; simple Google-Fu takes me where MS doesn't want me to go.

Thanks guys. ;-)

Also, props to seebs on the proper use of provenance in a sentence. Yay English!

:rofl:

I like that word... I just sounds so "sophisticated". It almost makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about.

If you have a legitimate ISO or Windows disk you can do it yourself with RT Se7en Lite, even set it up so the install is automated and you don't have to do a damn thing except open up a beer and watch. :attn:

+1 That's what I do... Get a clean .ISO from MS and then go to town with RT7Lite. :)

I only read the EULA once when Win7 first came out. For OEM copies (i.e. the single copy you buy off newegg or independent system builders) can be reactivated SO AS LONG as you retain the COA label attached to the PC case. For COA/key code labels you find off of HP/Dell machines, the same rule applies, but you really cannot upgrade those machines anyway and you certainly cannot use that keycode in another pc.

In other words, affix the COA/key label onto your case and upgrade all you want (up to a certain limit, of course), so as long as you use the same case (MS considers this as ONE computer - note that when you call to activate ;-)). You cannot install win7 oem on more than one computer, in which you cannot have two of copies of Win7 with the same license key code running on two PCs at the same time. Doing so violates the license agreement and MS won't let you use that key anymore, even if you talk to them on the phone.

I've never had an issue with reusing OEM keys. But this is always for personal and only installed on one machine. I've had the warnings that I may have been a victim of piracy. Call up a toll free number give and them a code. They ask how many machines are running this copy of windows I say 1. They give me a code and I input it and we're off to the races. I think MS is more concerned with people installing the OS on multiple machines than me just doing "repairs"

As far as I knew, retail keys would activate 32 and 64bit but OEM keys only activated their respective version.

I think im on my 25 or 30th reinstall with my Win7 pro 64bit key ... i swap hardware very very frequently and i prefer a clean install as soon as i change something critical like the MB, CPU or swapping form ATI to Nvidia. Every ~3 install i have to call MS support, an automated message guide you to reactivate your windows. NP reusing your key if only 1 computer is using this key at a given time.

As for the ISO, like told higher on the thread, just DL it from legit source and use your key to activate. You can use RT7lite to add/remove stuf form the installer.

As far as I knew, retail keys would activate 32 and 64bit but OEM keys only activated their respective version.

I bought a 32-bit key and I was running 64-bit perfectly, 'til I upgraded to Win8.

EDIT: What do you guys use rt7lite for? What do you add or remove? I've always wondered.

Drivers can be added and service packs etc. Then it's an all in one and your done once installed no 500Mb updates and cr**

And you can set it to be totally automated. Enter your key, any accounts you would have to set up, and you don't need to stand there and click next at every menu.

Back