• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready for 64Bit? Lets Test Here! [56K Warning]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now that i got RAID 0 to work, lets take a look at some Hard Drive benchies shall we.

HD Tach:

Windows x64 - 366.3MB/S

64hdtach.jpg

Windows XP - 365.4MB/s

xphdtach.jpg

Atto:

Windows x64

64atto.jpg

Windows XP

xpatto.jpg

As you can see HD Tach is pretty much identical. However x64 takes a little lead over XP in Atto. Both these benchmarks are 32bit. Getting x64 to work in RAID has been a nightmare, so these benchmarks although not exciting, mean a lot to me since i finnaly got them in RAID ;)

Sucka, please run the POVRAY benchmark. It's under the render menu. 2 clicks is all it takes.
Thanks

**edit** Took my 3.4GHz Prescott 45:38 to render the benchmark with the 32 bit version.

Last edited:
fAlCoNNiAn said:
awesome review :thup: , but id advise you to remove the XP PID on your screenies. ;)

The trial version numbers weren't removed, you can do whatever you want with that ;)

I removed them from all my XP screenies.

And thanks.

Mustanley said:
Sucka, please run the POVRAY benchmark. It's under the render menu. 2 clicks is all it takes.
Thanks

**edit** Took my 3.4GHz Prescott 45:38 to render the benchmark with the 32 bit version.

Wow, this mark takes 45 minutes?! I guess it's gonna take me awhile to run it ;)

Are there any settings for the benchmark, or just let it rip?

Nope, just let 'er rip. POVRAY makes heavy use of the FPU and has traditionally done much better on the AMD architecture and it is also multithreaded. You ought to be able more than cut my mark in half I would think. I'm gonna run it on my new Venice when I get home.

**edit** Seems you need to download the BETA .exe's for POVRAY to default to multithreaded mode. Just install the normal version of POVRAY and then replace the .exe's with the ones from this page.

http://www.povray.org/beta/

This version uses multi-threaded rendering by default. The ability to render
in more than one thread is primarily of use to those users who have SMP
machines (i.e. more than one CPU). There have been reports of benefits for
users of hyperthreading systems, particularly with higher thread counts (e.g.
16 threads).

You can render in only one thread by using the '/THREADS 1' switch in the
Windows version. Note that parsing and photon building will only use one
thread no matter how many are specified. However photon scenes will benefit from multiple threads once photon building has completed.

**edit 2** Sorry, last thing, the beta expired on July 15th, so you will have to set the system time/date to before July 15th.

Last edited:
looks like too much hype, without any groundbreaking results to me.

and 64bit was suppose to be THE most substantial upgrade in PC technology?

and i never get a new OS until their first service pack. even though i should be able to upgrade to XP64 free since i have pro right?

Mustanley: Thanks for the link, i'm already running single threaded right now, so i'll give that beta a try after i'm done. Will post results from single threaded in a few minutes. You're right, it's a lot faster here :)

SteveLord: It has Service Pack 1. Besides the RAID issues i haven't run into any problems. No gains on 32bit apps, but of course the whole point is for 64bit apps. Only a matter of time before it becomes more standard. But you're right, no need to rush out and buy this.

Note: You can download this free of charge from Microsoft. The Trial Version is good for 180 Days and requires mailing info and E-Mail, no CC info needed. Be warned, when it expires you'll need to reinstall, you can not upgrade to full version from Trial. So if you get comfortable on the Trial, you better buy a retail copy if you plan to keep it longer than 6 months.

POV-Ray *Single Threaded*:

Windows x64 - 17:54

64povray.jpg

Windows XP Pro - 22:42

xppovray.jpg

As you can see here given a 64Bit application the processor can really take advantage.

Note: This benchmark did not take advantage of Dual Core. This was run on a single core.

Last edited:
POV-Ray *Multithreaded*:

Windows x64 - 5:23

64povray-multithreaded.jpg

Windows XP Pro - 6:35

xppovray-multithreaded.jpg

As you can see running this multithreaded makes a HUGE difference. Winodws x64 comes out once again on top here. This benchmark can obviously take full advantage of Dual Core + 64 Bit. Nice to see these instructions working for us finnaly.

TNX for testing POV-Ray. The diference that 64-bit cpu/os + dual-core make are incredible...
i hope more programs will be writen like this to take advantage of 64-bit and dual-core cpus... :)

Man, Look at those HDDs go.
Sucka-- That is nice speed.

x64 seems to help a little right now. But then again, this technology is still new. Many softwares right now are not fully design for 64bit. In the future, we should be able to see more programs that design to compute highly complex numbers with less CPU process per clock.

Robert said:
Man, Look at those HDDs go.
Sucka-- That is nice speed.

x64 seems to help a little right now. But then again, this technology is still new. Many softwares right now are not fully design for 64bit. In the future, we should be able to see more programs that design to compute highly complex numbers with less CPU process per clock.

Yeah, these results are promising for the future. We all need to keep in mind these are 32bit apps running in a 64bit envirment, so if anything they should be equal or slower.

I was just trying to show that x64 can play right along with XP, and you won't lose much if any performance. Now that RAID works i'm starting to like it :)

diehrd said:
Suka I have to hand it to you .Not only are you a bench mark junky BUT you seam to aways be right on top of all the things people will need information on..

Nice tests and thanks for running them for us all to see...

You finally jumped down from a roof and took a break to post here on the forums?

Did you get tar on the keyboard at all? I can send you a new one if you did.

Btw, Sucka pwns. He's becoming a Hitechblzl,kasnlgj... I never remember how to spell his name.

g0dM@n said:
Btw, Sucka pwns. He's becoming a Hitechblzl,kasnlgj... I never remember how to spell his name.

LOL...thanks for the kind words, but i'm not at hitechjb1's level :)

If i decide to not be lazy, i'll try to write a Sticky on Windows x64. I have all the info i need on it, just a matter of putting it together ;)

Rattle said:
Great thread, this answered many questions I had all in the same place.

BADASS

Well glad to hear it :thup:

You can thank godman for reviving the thread, it had slipped far into the pages of the forum.

Back