• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready to assemble? Help me commit!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T56impala

Registered
So my system has been up and running for a couple of months now, I'm using the stock cooler on the Vega 64 and a Coolermaster 360 AIO on the CPU and everything works great. OCed to 4.0 on the CPU and has been stable. Memory is at 3200 and stable. GPU seems stable and sufficient at standard speed. BUT.......

This was meant to be a custom loop system since I decided to build it. I've never done water cooling before, much less a custom loop. This AOI is my first. I've been slowly gathering the pieces to do the loop. It all sits before me on the bench. My issue is, I'm afraid to start mucking with a good solid stable system. I know I'll only be pulling fans and mounting new cooling hardware, but I worked so hard to get this system up that it really bothers me to take it apart. Not to mention it will be down until it is completed which could take 2 weeks or more.

I only game a little, and this isn't a mission critical machine, but it still bugs me. I need some encouragement!!

you sound like youve done your research so you should be prepared for the process. buy your first piece and the rest will follow... :)

Take your time and do it right. You want a complete build in a day. Properly tested for leaks before you plug the PSU back into everything.
You should have no problems build a custom loop. If you mounted a 360 AIO, you can piece together anything.
It would be nice to see a list of those parts you got on the table.
What Case are you using? Can you put your rig specs in the sig too maybe?

I put my system in a signature but I don’t see it displayed. Maybe y’all can? Picture is from initial setup.

Edit: there it is!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

View attachment 205883

4B81EE5F-5125-410C-8ACE-1B2CDB982DF6.jpeg

This is the res. Photo is from the eBay auction by Radikult. My plumbing is going to be much different. Lots of space to fill in this O11 case.

I put my system in a signature but I don’t see it displayed. Maybe y’all can? Picture is from initial setup.

Edit: there it is!

View attachment 205883

That's a heck of a nice system you've got there. I can see why you'd be a little nervous. That's expected!

What kind of coolant are you going to use?

Hope you make a build log if it does take you a couple of weeks. I'd love to watch the process of the build :D

8920D70C-51DF-48E7-902F-D54D66B55BF6.jpeg 8920D70C-51DF-48E7-902F-D54D66B55BF6.jpeg

A little more updated photo.

I really wanted to go with the Primochill Vue in silver. I'm backing off that after doing more research. I don't feel its a good choice for a first timer. I'd be willing to entertain suggestions though! Because the distribution block is somewhat see thru, I'd really like to go with something opaque. Water will have to do to start with. Fortunately I have the ability to have a very accessible drain port on the reservoir.

Water is fine. Just gotta watch for the bacteria growth and what not. PT Nuke should do the trick.

That's a nice case with plenty of room. Gonna look very nice when you're done!

Make sure it's distilled water, not tap water. Tap water even with HTH Super Extended algae guard (aka what PT Nuke resells in a small bottle) can still have problems with growth.

I have a reef tank. Unfortunately I know a LOT about bacterial growth, slime, muck and all kinds of disgusting stuff that can happen to water. Fortunately I do have my own supply of DI water! “Nuclear” grade filtration system in my basement. Not sure what that means exactly, but that’s how they advertise it. .0000 TDS when I checked it tonight. I will add the proper ingredients to it to minimize growth.

Any personal experience with the Primochill Vue?

I use EK cryofuel clear. You can also use Petras PT nuke (benzalkonium chloride based). If you're using a nickel plated block, it's best to avoid copper sulfate based products.

I have a very similar res from Radikult and I think it looks just fine with a clear fluid, especially with a LED strip behind the res.
IMG_20190516_002849.jpg

It took me more than 15 years of saying I would, schooling, family joy, family tragedy, moving, housing, collecting endless bits of tech (most of which never get used), getting a few bits of watercooling kit here and there, to finally get the courage and time to build mine. Did it last month! Never too late. See sig.

Last edited:
DO EEET.

If you can afford it, buy or build a pressure testing guage and test with air first. Has saved me multiple times from bad parts/gaskets.

Back