• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Real difference between 6600gt, 6800gt, and x800xl?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JKrepps said:
I was reading a review on the Gigabyte card, I think at Guru3d, and they said it's an excellent card, but you can NOT upgrade it. ie.. you can't get a 2nd 3di card and have 4 vid processors. So kind of discounted that one for me, since you can't split them up for other comps if you upgrade main. However, the board it comes with can also runnormal SLI.

Really, is the price for 2 6600GTs less than for a single 6800GT?

Where I live - 2 6600GTs are cheaper, or should I say "not that expensive".

btw, hkh, the best card I've ever had is Ge4 and it doesn't make me recommend it for new rigs...

Frm the reviews I have found, if the 6600GTs are less expensive AND you do not mind giving up future upgradablity on your single comp, then go 6600GT. The only reason I am leaning toward 6800GT is because the price is close enough to identical and I will want ot be able to upgrade in the future.

Of course, at the rate I am going, I may end up getting 6800GT now, 2 6600GTs in 4 weeks, and playing with them both to see which Ilike best ;)

2 6600GT's are going to run ~$360, which is the same exact price as a 6800GT PCI-E. A Radeon X800XL is $290. Figure in another $20 for the difference between an NF4 Ultra board and an SLI board, you're talking an extra $90. These are all US Newegg prices. The other thing you have to consider is cooling. Those cards run pretty damn hot, especially the 6600GT's (I know, I had one and I really do not recommend overclocking with the stock cooling solution). and you're now trying to cool not one, but two 6600GT's, so multiply your cooling solution times 2. For a Zalman VF700CU, that's an extra 70 bucks, if you can even get them to fit (which would be tight) in and SLI setup.

I'm willing to bet that in a year, when my X800XL is starting to show age, that the new generation of cards will be powerful enough to outdo a dual SLI setup today. I've always been able to sell my existing graphics cards for a reasonable amount so that I only have to fork over ~$75-100 to get a newer card. Then again I've upgraded my PC 3 times in the last two months and never go longer than 6 months without an upgrade.

MassiveOverkill said:
Then again I've upgraded my PC 3 times in the last two months and never go longer than 6 months without an upgrade.

I can't decide if I should worship you and your ilk, or fear, dread, and cringe at the thought of becoming like you :cool:

Here, prices of dual 6600GT by Gigabyte, 2x 6600GT, 6800GT, x800XL, x850PRO are within $100 range. I've recently seen these x850PRO in shops.
How do they work, compared to x800XL and 6800GT?
Yeah, I know that thereare tons of benchies on net, but I'd really like opinion of someone who uses it.

mmm ati version of sli coming out this summer, and will have support for the Xxxx generation of cards

Id go with the X800xl, better bang for you buck, better image quality and aweosme performance

TheGreySpectre said:
mmm ati version of sli coming out this summer, and will have support for the Xxxx generation of cards

Id go with the X800xl, better bang for you buck, better image quality and aweosme performance

Actually image quality depends on viewer - I like GeForce 6 image more for example.

Ven0m said:
Actually image quality depends on viewer - I like GeForce 6 image more for example.

agree with that. My brother has the X800 and I have the 6800GT. I think there isn't much difference at all. However, my brother thinks that my 6800GT IQ looks better.

Think of it this way... How much do you really need in FPS? How much does this really matter to you as long as it's 30+ ? If you get a 6600gt now, like I have and I get good FPS in all my games. Then you might think well down the road, when it gets outdated and cant handle some new games, pick up a second one. Then en a few years when they are usuless split them up and you new have 2 spare cards for lesser systems! Also about the preformance of dual 6600gt's, I get 2651 stock on crappy omega drivers. Now take that 2x and you get well over 5K where most high end cards end up. Now remember thats not Oc'ed either...

Surfin aroud and saw some people get a single 6600gt to near 4k on 3dm05

My system

3.2 Intel Lga/ stock
512 XMS 2-2-2-5
Evga 6600gt/ stock
Abit AG8

Last edited:
High end cards only really come into their own when using high resolutions with all effects are on. So running a 1280x1024 LCD with a 6600GT is fine, but higher res that card wont be able to keep frame rates up.

Back