• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Realbench "Instability Detected" at Stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgilbert

Registered
I'm getting an "Instability Detected" 7z error running the RealBench 2.56 stress test on my system, running at stock...

ASRock X370 Gaming K4 - Latest BIOS
AMD 3700x CPU - Noctua NH-U14S Cooler
Corsair 3600 MHz Samsung B Die RAM, set at XMP 3200 MHz
MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g Video Card
Windows 10 1909

This setup has passed 4 hours each of...

Prime95 - Blend with AVX Off
AIDA64 - AVX On
Blender
Hours and hours of Borderlands 3
And six hours of MemTest86...

As I said, everything is set to stock. Temperatures are fine. I've even tried setting the RAM to 2133 MHz. Sometimes, RB will run for two or three hours before throwing the error, and at other times, it does it in a couple of minutes.

Any input would be appreciated...

If your system is only throwing errors intermittently on one test I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like is works fine in the games you play so to me that is more important than a synthetic test.

I concur with bmwbaxter. Keep in mind that the Realbench stress test renders using the CPU and the GPU. This could be a small GPU driver issue. However, blender uses both CPU and GPU as well I think and you aren't having an issue in that app. What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU?

I concur with bmwbaxter. Keep in mind that the Realbench stress test renders using the CPU and the GPU. This could be a small GPU driver issue. However, blender uses both CPU and GPU as well I think and you aren't having an issue in that app. What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU?

^ this

Power Supply is a 750 Watt EVGA G2. I'm maxing out at 350 Watts during the stress test, according to my UPS, and EVGA power supplies are top notch. Surely that isn't it.

I ran the RealBench stress test again today, with BIOS at defaults, and RAM at stock 2133. It took over six hours, but it finally threw that same error. I'm about to give up. I'm going to run the OCCT stress test tonight. It's supposed to be sensitive to errors. I've already run it a couple of hours without problems.

Dude, it's stable. Do you just like to run stress tests or something? Just use it in real life apps and enjoy. It at some point it does become unstable in real life use then start troubleshooting. I don't see a problem here.

Probably memory, adjust Soc or something. If CPU voltage is problem, system would freeze, I guess.

Probably memory, adjust Soc or something. If CPU voltage is problem, system would freeze, I guess.

A subtle RAM timing issue would be my guess as well. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that it only manifests itself when doing extended stress testing and even then, only for one particular stress test tool. It's not unstable when idle or under normal use. It's the kind of thing you might expect to see when running a third generation Ryzen CPU on a first gen motherboard while also downclocking the RAM.

mgilbert, In Realbench what amount of memory do you have it set to use?

Last edited:
Back