• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really simple RAM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flippedbinary

Registered
I just recently built my first computer so, I have a really basic RAM question. I have currently 4GB (2x2) of GSkils Ripjaw X RAM @1333MHz and 7-7-7-21. If I wanted to install a 8GB (2x4) set in the other two slots, would that be an issue?

I would guess that would be ok so long as the speed and timings are the same, but really I'm just posting here to subscribe to the thread so I can find out the answer after someone posts it.

Just install the modules in the following configuration, w/ the 2 x 4GB sticks in the blue slots, and the 2 x 2GB sticks in the black slots, or vice-versa for a total of 6GB in each channel for a dual-channel config...

To achieve Dual Channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

• Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
• Same Density (128MB, 256MB, 512MB, etc.)
• Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels
• Populate symmetrical memory slots (Slot 0 or Slot 1)

Attachments

• dual4.jpg
    dual4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for the info! So, it doesn't matter that the two sets are different sizes as long as they are matched up in the same color slots, yea?

My only other question is, do I really need an extra 8GB? The 4GB set like the one I have is half the price. The only reason I'm considering upgrading is to give my video card more room to page the RAM for textures.

You probably don't need 12GB total unless you have specific needs like video encoding or large image editing or virtual machines etc.

Some people might argue you don't even need 8GB, but I think 8GB is pretty reasonable these days.

Back