• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really that noticable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobthemoo

rightyho, i, as a graphic-junkying gamer, would very much like to run dual sli with my beatuful 7800 GT. the only problem is, i only have one card (only a minor issue really :p)

now, my dearest father has Two 7800GT's. he doesnt game very frequently.

if i was to accidently slip, remove one of his 7800's, then fall all the way upstairs and install it into my machine, do u reckon he would notice that much?(as long as he didnt look inside)

at the moment, he is playing fear. he plays games like hl2 etc aswell.

yeah..i asked my dad if he could give me his 512mb stick so i could do dual channel and i gave him my 256 stick so he could do dual channel as well...now we both have faster runnning computers...btw ur dad plays FEAR..thats one cool dad u got there running 2 7800gt's

Drinkyoghurt said:
...btw ur dad plays FEAR..thats one cool dad u got there running 2 7800gt's

My thoughts too! :D

Why not just ask him? Better than him opening up the case one day and screaming OMG SOMEBODY STOLE MY $300 VIDEO CARD!!

Is his PC prebuilt? If he built it himself there must be a reason he went SLi.

lol hed say no if i asked him :p

plus, he had it built by mesh computers *shudders* lol

if he opened the case up one day he would just scream !!EDDDDDD!!!! (my name btw :p) and i would have to run for my life.....

he would notice in Fear, and if its not a home build and would void any warranty DONT DO IT.... see if he would help you upgrade maybe...

For HL2, you pretty much can run at the highest setting with a single 7800GT, because that's what I had before. For FEAR...... no way. He will definitely see a significant drop and FPS, and his game is going to run soooooo choppy (presuming he runs it at an extremely high setting).

To answer your question, yes he will notice it.

infinitevalence said:
he would notice in Fear, and if its not a home build and would void any warranty DONT DO IT.... see if he would help you upgrade maybe...

actually, removing and installing components in a prebuilt Computer should not void the warrenty, as the warrentys are on the indovidual parts.

The big issue here is that even if you where to fall up stairs with the 7800, it won't run in sli with a 7900. As far as i know only gpu's of the same type are compatible. (but im a nub with sli so i may be wrong)

Hipcrostino said:
The big issue here is that even if you where to fall up stairs with the 7800, it won't run in sli with a 7900. As far as i know only gpu's of the same type are compatible. (but im a nub with sli so i may be wrong)
He's planning on using the 7800 he "falls up/down stairs" with in his system with another 7800, so no problem there.

But yeah, if he notices he'll kill you. If it's just for some quick benching, then wait until he'll be gone for several hours at one time (going to work or something) and borrow the card. If you plan on keeping it, don't bother, because you will die. :p

I agree with soloz2, just buy a used one for cheap :) You have to assume that whoever built his PC charged him a premium just because it has SLi, I mean, those 2 graphics cards are the most expensive things in that entire PC, so you'll have to bet he definately KNOWS he has 2 cards... plus, it wouldnt be right... if u "borrowed" it, something bad might happen, like one of them dying or something, then what? lol, I know if one of my family members stole my 7800GT, i'd be rearranging their facial features, dont do it ;)

I say you sell your 7800gt on ebay or here for about $200, then buy a 7900gt and volt mod it. (I see they go for over $200 on ebay. I saw a factory rerub used go for $200) That'd be way worth it, better then SLI and cheaper. And easy to do if you get the right instructions. I mean you figure a used 7800gt will cost you an extra $220. So you can either buy a 7900gt which is better then a 7800gtx for $80, or go SLI and spend $220 which probably won't perform as well as a 7900gt volt modded to like 700/1850.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=6

actually there is a huge difference between a 7900gt and 7800gt sli. 7800gt sli owns 7900gt. But if you had a 7900gt vold modded it'd actually be better then 7800gt sli. They say 7900gt with 700/1850 is about 50% more FPS then it's stock OC version. So if you volt mod, definatly go 7900gt.

Last edited:
alright, i dont think i will steal the card :( just means that ill have to get a job!!! noes!

but wow ^^ 700/1820?!? you would need one ***** of a cooler.....

my 7900GT is at 635/1700 on 1.4v w/ water cooling. I'll probably do the 1.5v mod sometime this week to see what I can get.

oh, and 7800GT's do go for cheap, but most go for the 240-260 range and the ones with retail packaging and factory oc have been going for 250-280

Back