• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rear exhaust fan plugged into cpu2 fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

So the fan from my evo 212 exhausts into the top rear exhaust case fan. I was originally going to put another fan on the evo 212 however as far as I have read because the case exhaust fan is so close to the heatsink anyway, it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Now that I've over clocked (Haswell i5 / 1.25v / 4.3Ghz / 81c max stress testing) I thought maybe it would be an idea to plug the fan into the 2nd cpu slot so that it would have an dynamic speed control and aid the airflow over the heatsink.

Good idea or not?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jonathantrillo/saved/27sB

that is what CPU_FAN2 is for :)
Only need to make sure the fan is the "same" as on the heatsink, or at least more or less the same specs in order to not confuse the rudimentary logic of the CPU_FANx circuit

They're about the same as they can be... maybe even identical. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Something is wrong with your setup. A 212 Evo will keep a much hotter 3930k in the low 60s at full load. Either your fan settings are too "lazy" or your case ventilation is too poor.

Something is wrong with your setup. A 212 Evo will keep a much hotter 3930k in the low 60s at full load. Either your fan settings are too "lazy" or your case ventilation is too poor.

Really? Even with the increased voltage and clock during a stress test?

I don't think case ventilation is an issue, two CM fans on the front pulling air in, one of the side of the case pulling air in. One blowing out at the top, and I also have the power supply upside down so that take air from the bottom and blows it out the back.

I guess that would leave an issue with the application of thermal paste? Pea sized blob on there of artic mx 4.

Although heat isn't really an issue. I have stability issues ar 4.4GHz anyway. During normal use the cpu barely gets above 70.

Stability at 4.4 shouldn't be an issue.

No idea how you get 70C etc, not sure what load test your using or how you measure temps. P95 small ffts and Realtemp to measure, and your ROOM temps too..

How about a pic of your Tpaste app? Remove the cooler, take a good pic, post it, it can help to eliminate that part.

Fan speed can be an issue. Maybe your fan speed is wrong.

Still, if 4.4 crashes, maybe the forum for your CPU and the STICKIES there can help.

Stability at 4.4 shouldn't be an issue.

No idea how you get 70C etc, not sure what load test your using or how you measure temps. P95 small ffts and Realtemp to measure, and your ROOM temps too..

How about a pic of your Tpaste app? Remove the cooler, take a good pic, post it, it can help to eliminate that part.

Fan speed can be an issue. Maybe your fan speed is wrong.

Still, if 4.4 crashes, maybe the forum for your CPU and the STICKIES there can help.

Room temp about 75-80ish. I use exactly those two programs.

I don't really want to be taking off the heatsink right now. This is my first ever build and I only really just got it together.

Gnerally the case fans sit around 850ish. cpu fan sits a little lower at 750, although that jumps to 1900 with prime95 doing what it does best.

I'm very much a noob with regards to OCing so I'm happy at 4.3 for now while I read up on how to get it higher. I don't want to start pushing voltages when I don't really know what I'm doing.

What're you defining as 'insane'.

I plugged the rear fan into the cpu 2 port, topped out at about 1200rpm. I'm sure this'll help a little.

Back