• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reason 4,872 why you should NOT upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Someone doesn't understand licensing agreements and/or legal limitations based on certain lines of work. Certain software might be the only thing they are allowed to use because it is the only thing that they can LEGALLY use to do a function. If the creator of that software hasn't released an updated version in forever, then they are stuck trying to kludge together support for a legacy system because of issues like that.

I have rewritten and/or ported numerous programs from Turbo Pascal, Basic, and even Excel macros to the 21st century for the companies I work for. If the author is not providing support anymore does it not make sense to come up with a backup plan? What if the software is rendered unuseable because of some bug that had not been encountered previously? You could try hooking up your modem and dialing into their BBS looking for support but I would assume that's no longer an option... :shrug: Perhaps I'm sensationalizing a little bit but it comes from dealing with people who will never let go of their ms dos machine because it is what they've always used and learning is hard. No joke I had to send an invoice to a company as a text file because they could not open it in any of the standard formats. I have to admit doing the ascii art necessary was a fun blast from the past.

Microsoft likes money like any other company but to be fair there have been huge improvements over time. I completely understand not upgrading if you're hardware limited or if we're talking an enterprise environment because well that's a huge task for very little gain. If you do have to use anything new then the older it is the more you're taking your chances.

I also know of numerous ways to break into an xp machine but I can't touch a properly configured and updated windows 7/8 machine. It is not necessary to be cutting edge but as time passes the world comes up with new and fancy voodoo. Those who disable UAC or click yes on everything can continue to be protected by their ward made out of sticks and mud.

I could continue to rant on any of those subjects but I think you'll end up either agreeing or disagreeing. What I say will not change your mind on any subject but it sure does make me feel better!

Original Poster, perhaps keeping Windows XP can be a viable option? Why not simply partition your hard drive into relatively small partitions, keep Windows XP on one and instal either Windows 7 or [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] on the other partition, then in two minutes switch between them. That way you have the real deal whenever you need it and you can go back to Windows 7/8 when needed too. Installing Operating Systems onto small partitions then simply keeping them and rebooting into them in less than 2 minutes, NOT IF but WHEN something goes wrong with the new OS, is what we've been doing for years.

I thought about that but it wouldn't work. They freak out over too much change (they're barely computer savvy if it all). I went with buying another Win 7 pro license and set that person up with the legacy app running in xp mode just like the other person. That is tolerable for them since they're coming from XP and are very used to working in it. The third person using it doesn't need to print claims so I have the legacy app installed on her win 7 install and it works fine (minus the print function). I'm doing a lot of Win 8 downgrades lately for people. I would say a surprising amount in fact.

I have rewritten and/or ported numerous programs from Turbo Pascal, Basic, and even Excel macros to the 21st century for the companies I work for. If the author is not providing support anymore does it not make sense to come up with a backup plan? What if the software is rendered unuseable because of some bug that had not been encountered previously? You could try hooking up your modem and dialing into their BBS looking for support but I would assume that's no longer an option... :shrug: Perhaps I'm sensationalizing a little bit but it comes from dealing with people who will never let go of their ms dos machine because it is what they've always used and learning is hard. No joke I had to send an invoice to a company as a text file because they could not open it in any of the standard formats. I have to admit doing the ascii art necessary was a fun blast from the past.

Microsoft likes money like any other company but to be fair there have been huge improvements over time. I completely understand not upgrading if you're hardware limited or if we're talking an enterprise environment because well that's a huge task for very little gain. If you do have to use anything new then the older it is the more you're taking your chances.

I also know of numerous ways to break into an xp machine but I can't touch a properly configured and updated windows 7/8 machine. It is not necessary to be cutting edge but as time passes the world comes up with new and fancy voodoo. Those who disable UAC or click yes on everything can continue to be protected by their ward made out of sticks and mud.

I could continue to rant on any of those subjects but I think you'll end up either agreeing or disagreeing. What I say will not change your mind on any subject but it sure does make me feel better!

I agree with what you're saying. In the case I'm talking about it's not that they want to keep XP or even the legacy apps. As of the end of this week I have them all upgraded to 7 (or downgraded in a few instances) and uniform. Going from XP to 7 is absolutely no problem at all (and remember this is a Psychiatric office so 90% of them are "people" persons, NOT tech savvy at all). They did take a short getting used to period with the folder renaming period in a few cases but for the most part everyone there is already using 7 at home so it was an easy transition. Going to 8 could work, although there would be some massive growing pains and multiple migraines for me until I got them all used to working in it (but that's what us IT folk are for) but for the fact that going to 8 would break more than one software they're forced to use and hasn't been updated. The funny thing is, MS would be making more money if they simply kept "XP Mode" OR even had available for download a preactivated XP virtual machine for MS Virtual PC without the integration features in XP Mode as a temporary option for business to use until legacy apps get updated. Simple fix that requires barely any work on their part. If it's so simple, it makes you wonder why not? Why are they so opposed to it? Why all the stubbornness over the past few years?

I'm doing a lot of Win 8 downgrades lately for people. I would say a surprising amount in fact.
If they need Windows XP then that is a separate discussion. If they do not, then in 30 seconds Windows 8 becomes Windows 7, therefore why uninstall and install from scratch when the problem can be solved in seconds? I have a quadruple boot and 'everything' on my Windows 8 is the same as on my Windows 7 from the moment I press the Power Button on my PC.

Two clicks gets me into real Windows XP, one click to select WinXP, one click to Reboot and I am inside real WinXP. I get back into Win8 with two clicks too, no need for any VM or messing with (in)compatibilities of anything.

RestartInWinXP+SuperFastReboot.jpg

You actually do not even have to press on the Save Settings button in the attached pic below ↓,
you actually set the default OS just by checking it. Then this gets you there, super-quick ↑:

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 68
If they need Windows XP then that is a separate discussion.
If they do not, then in 30 seconds Windows 8 becomes Windows 7, therefore why uninstall and install from scratch when the problem can be solved in seconds? I have a quadruple boot and 'everything' on my Windows 8 is the same as on my Windows 7 from the moment I press the Power Button on my PC.

Two clicks gets me into real Windows XP, one click to select WinXP, one click to Reboot and I am inside real WinXP. I get back into Win8 with two clicks too, no need for any VM or messing with (in)compatibilities of anything.

View attachment 130671

You actually do not even have to press on the Save Settings button in the attached pic below ↓,
you actually set the default OS just by checking it. Then this gets you there, super-quick ↑:

If it were me I would dual boot/triple boot etc. all day long. This is a business environment with non-techies who expect things to just work. Win 7 with XP mode is what works. MS is just shooting themselves in the foot by not providing the support businesses needed. Remember that it's not home license upgrades that MS makes all of it's money on. They make their money on expensive business licenses. I'm willing to bet money that this case is not the only of it's kinds. There are more businesses out there that need or require legacy software support. Win 8 so far as I can see breaks that support. And all of that just so they can push a new touch screen interface on PC's? Makes no sense. Because really, that's all it is. Win 7, with improvements, minus XP mode (preactivated XP VM) with Metro. I'm sorry but that makes no business sense at all.

What extension, 2014 has always been the date. Majority of people were fooled into thinking that Windows XP was no longer updated. And all this time it was and will be for another year.

Attachments

• Microsoft Support Lifecycle Windows XP.png
    Microsoft Support Lifecycle Windows XP.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 52
Original poster, if you cannot get staff to reboot into WinXP, what are internet search links about
How to Run Windows XP for Free in Windows 8
talking about? Are they incorrect?

We upgrade all our primary desktops/laptops every 3 years. Pretty much when the warranties end. I'll be looking at them again (if VMWare doesnt replace them) next Spring. I wonder if the 7>8 downgrade options will still be around. Basically both operating systems for the same price.

Original poster, if you cannot get staff to reboot into WinXP, what are internet search links about
How to Run Windows XP for Free in Windows 8
talking about? Are they incorrect?

Of course anyone can run XP in a VM or even in MS's own "MS Virtual PC". That isn't the issue. It's that with Win 7 they included a preactivated windows XP virtual machine with integration features to run legacy apps. Now they're making it harder to get PC's with Windows 7 installed (I have a feeling that will change by the end of the year just like with XP and Vista) and pushing Win 8 hardcore (I've received 6 calls from MS in the past 2 weeks asking if I wanted to learn about the benefits of upgrading blah blah) but they've broken that legacy support. At the very least as a short term solution they could easily provide an XP VM with license for use on Win 8 Pro for people to use. And the funniest part is businesses just recently or are just now migrating to Win 7 (State of Oregon just finished in Feb) and MS is expecting them to go to 8 now and as they announced earlier this year (or maybe it was the end of last year can't remember) move to a yearly release cycle for new versions of Windows. :rofl:

I am betting hardly anyone has used Windows 7's XP Mode. It wasn't marketed very well and I have had Windows 7 since it's pre-release and all my legacy apps work with it. I have also not met another IT pro that has even mentioned it.

And if I remember correct it wasn't technically included. You still had to seek it out and go download it.

Back