• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reboot and select proper boot device

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n1co

Registered
I just bought a new case and transfered everything into it. Upon starting it up for the first time I got the error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected". I have put the hard drive and DVD drive back in the same sata ports, and set the same boot priority up in the BIOS. I have changed data cables and tried different sats ports to no avail. I have also reset the CMOS.
I have tried
1st. SSD drive
2nd DVD drive
3rd Rem device
and
1st DVD drive
2nd SSD drive
3rd Rem device

The hard drives and DVD drives are showing in the BIOS

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions ?
Thanks

Is this regarding the Corsair Force3 in your sig? I have problems with mine and the issue is the sata plug on the drive itself. It has no resistance and is prone to come loose at the slightest touch so I would just recheck it. If possible change the boot priority to only include the SSD and see if that makes a difference. Also, update it to the 1.3.3 firmware. It seemed to fix some compatibility issues with the chipset on my board and includes some other performance tweaks. It also fixes some sort of sleep bug that the sandforce controller has that can basically trick your system into not using the drive correctly.

Do you have more than 1 Hard drive installed?

There should be on the same page as boot order a "hard drive" order subpage as well. Make sure your OS drive is first on the list.

If not, you can fire up your Windows install disk/usb stick and run the repair feature to fix startup.

Is this regarding the Corsair Force3 in your sig? I have problems with mine and the issue is the sata plug on the drive itself. It has no resistance and is prone to come loose at the slightest touch so I would just recheck it. If possible change the boot priority to only include the SSD and see if that makes a difference. Also, update it to the 1.3.3 firmware. It seemed to fix some compatibility issues with the chipset on my board and includes some other performance tweaks. It also fixes some sort of sleep bug that the sandforce controller has that can basically trick your system into not using the drive correctly.
Yeah the sata data and power do move up and down really easily, but the cables are connected properly, I changed the boot priority to just my SSD, just the same result. To update the firmware don't you need to be booted into the OS ? And yes the sandforce controllers are rubbish, I have already had one of these drives that died on me after 4 months, but couldn't get a refund so stuck with the same drive. I took the drive out to check if it had happened again, and put it in an enclosure and its fine all my data is on there.

Neuromancer
Yes I have one SSD and two standard 3.5" drives, the SSD with my OS on is the first boot device and the other two drives second and third. I booted from my windows DVD and clicked on repair but my OS install wasn't listed which leads to me thinking its the same thing that soulfly1448 suggested.

Thanks

To update the firmware don't you need to be booted into the OS ?

Yeah, I couldn't find a tool to update outside of Windows. You mentioned that you put the drive in an enclosure and checked that the data was still there. Supposing that was via another machine running Windows, you could run the utility on that computer and update the firmware maybe. :shrug:

Other than that, I can't see any reason that it shouldn't work in the new case. Unless it's like the situation I had with an ASUS board where it decided that it wouldn't use the SATA3 ports or any SATA3 drives after a standard reboot... That was on a Z68 board though.

I have had this problem before myself. I would clean my system, unplug things and find that I get the same messege. Why, because I didn't place my hardrives in the same spots as previus. I found out for the sake of simple efficiancy there are boards that will remember the sata port your os is connected to. If you change this it will lose the ability to boot your os.

There are two ways to fix this.
1. Manually unplug your drives and find the correct sata slot for the drive your os is on.

2. Change boot order on your bios. (Note: Some bios for certain boards will have more than one option, one for boot device and the other for boot drives. Its the boot drives option you want, not boot device. Just place the drive your os is on into the number one slot.)

I have had this problem before myself. I would clean my system, unplug things and find that I get the same messege. Why, because I didn't place my hardrives in the same spots as previus. I found out for the sake of simple efficiancy there are boards that will remember the sata port your os is connected to. If you change this it will lose the ability to boot your os.

There are two ways to fix this.
1. Manually unplug your drives and find the correct sata slot for the drive your os is on.

2. Change boot order on your bios. (Note: Some bios for certain boards will have more than one option, one for boot device and the other for boot drives. Its the boot drives option you want, not boot device. Just place the drive your os is on into the number one slot.)

I have already done this and it still comes up. :bang head

Believe you me that Corsair SSD is finicky, sometimes buggy and have a friggin mind of it own. Believe it or not the SATA cable and it's ability to make a proper connecting between SSD and SATA port can be the difference. It was with me. I had to swap out 3 of the SAME brand of SATA cable before I found one that would play nice with the Corsair SSD. That was one frustrating week figuring that out.

If you have any money at all and want to keep your sanity, do what I did. Replace that thing with a M4 then in your leisure time figure out the Corsair in another not critical system.

Yeah the drives don't seem to be built real well, the full connection panel on the back moves a lot. I already RMA'd one of these drives, just wish that I sold the replacement and got a non sandforce controller drive. Yeah I have heard good reviews on the M4.
Anyway I sorted the problem now, after removing the cables to the drive and changing it to other sata sockets, it still didn't work. So I will put here what I did for others to see. I followed this http://idoneitmyself.wordpress.com/...s-any-key-repairing-the-windows-7-bootloader/ and the error message went, I then got "bootmgr missing press ctrl alt del to restart" I tried repairing with the disc and using bootrec.exe commands but still the same, so I did this http://superuser.com/questions/66282/bootmanager-is-missing and upon restarting it worked.

Back