• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Receiver question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see why not. It looks like the receiver has optical/toslink and your speakers look to use that as well.

I don't see why not. It looks like the receiver has optical/toslink and your speakers look to use that as well.

I would want to hook speakers to receiver as I need the optical port for tv. I ordered some banana plugs to use.

I was going to say.. if the system a line in/RCA and the receiver has one out, you should be fine.

That said Banana plugs are not RCA either... Here is your speaker's inputs:
(1) digital optical for DVD or CD player, PlayStation 2, Xbox*, or PC sound card (requires optical cable, sold separately)
(1) digital coaxial for DVD or CD player, or PC sound card (requires coaxial cable, sold separately)
(1) 6-channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2-, 4-, or 6-channel PC sound cards
(1) Analog stereo-mini for portable CD, MP3, or MiniDisc® player

I don't see banana or 4mm there. Just optical, coax/rca...? Are you talking just running speaker level outputs directly to the speakers?

Last edited:
Do your speakers terminate with speaker wire? If so, then that will work as well.

indeed as they accept banana plugs, so I suppose now I know he was talking speaker level and not line level. :)

Thanks guys, yes bare speaker wire from speakers to amp on back of sub. So will pick up some better speaker wire, thinking 16 or 18 gauge unless advised other wise.
And install banana plugs on ends to be plugged into receiver. Will have to find me a sub as the one I have runs through the control pod.:eh?:

You can use the sub if you run the coax out of the receiver to the coax in on the control pod, no? Same with the toslink/optical I believe (but that is in use).

You can use the sub if you run the coax out of the receiver to the coax in on the control pod, no? Same with the toslink/optical I believe (but that is in use).

The optical will be going from tv to receiver. The control pod has a coax input, so I could try going from receiver sub coax to control pod and see. Have to get a coax cable.
May just be easier to pick up a decent sub for this setup. Plus I do not want to have to use control pod just for sub.

Not the sub coax.. that likely it will only carry sub signal or a limited range/frequency. Is there another coax/rca out on that receiver?

Lets see if this works.

Attachments

• 1042_5_vsx516silf.jpg
    1042_5_vsx516silf.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 340
You dont.. I doubt it will work. It depends on what that signal contains. I dont recall if it only works in 5.1 but not stereo signal or if it always has a signal, if contains full range and will pass the surround info out...

report back!

You dont.. I doubt it will work. It depends on what that signal contains. I dont recall if it only works in 5.1 but not stereo signal or if it always has a signal, if contains full range and will pass the surround info out...

report back!

Just going to hit pawn shops for a sub. Thanks Bro.

Personally, I would return that receive and get something that has the outputs you need. This way you dont have a mismatch/strange sub/setup.

Personally, I would return that receive and get something that has the outputs you need. This way you dont have a mismatch/strange sub/setup.

Pawn shop for $100 so can work a bit to complete system.:D

After I pay for the mobo I plan to buy next week, I may just start looking for a 5.1 speaker system to hook to receiver and give my brother this Logitech system.

I just bought some parts for my media center. Depending on what you are looking to pay, mine was quite a low budget but the sound quality has been great.

I went with a Micca MB42XC center channel and MB42X left and right speakers. Right now I'm using two of my old klipsch 4.1 satellites for surround speakers. And bought a Dayton Audio 12in sub. My receiver is a Yamaha V675. Used 16AWG speaker wire with banana plugs for easy setup.

I just bought some parts for my media center. Depending on what you are looking to pay, mine was quite a low budget but the sound quality has been great.

I went with a Micca MB42XC center channel and MB42X left and right speakers. Right now I'm using two of my old klipsch 4.1 satellites for surround speakers. And bought a Dayton Audio 12in sub. My receiver is a Yamaha V675. Used 16AWG speaker wire with banana plugs for easy setup.

Send me a pm of what you are selling and asking price. I am looking to put a system together for mainly music. LOUD music.:D And tv playback.

Oh, I'm not selling anything, just telling you what I went with that was provided good sound for a low cost :)

Back