• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recent 2nd Monitor Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Recently, I noticed that my 2nd monitor is having issues displaying gifs or videos while I have a game or something similar on my main monitor consuming most of my resources. So let me set a preface: by load I mean gaming or significant work load of GPU and CPU/Memory on my main monitor.

System Specs:

1800X on a Crosshair VI
Vega 64 as main GPU with 18.7.1 drivers
Nvidia GTX760 for DLNA media rendering with stock windows update drivers (I do not update these drivers nor fiddle with any of its settings, just plug and play).
16GB Memory
1200W power supply
Main Monitor: LG Ultrawide 2K 29" using DP 1.2
2nd Monitor: LG 1080p using HDMI 1.x

While my main monitor is being used, any videos, or just scrolling through a website is heavily lagged on my 2nd monitor while an application is considered the active window on my main monitor. When I shift my focus to the application on my 2nd monitor, there is no longer an issue. So for example, if I have a game open on my main monitor, and firefox open in my second monitor and the game is the "active window" and I scroll through a website, the website scroll will lag and take several seconds to see any change. This recently started to happen after I played around with two Vega 64s. I recently switched out my Gigabyte stock Vega 64 with an AMD Limited Edition Vega 64, played around with crossfire, and than decided on the Limited Edition card being the only card. I've had the GTX760 in my system before all this, and no issues were seen. Drivers don't seem to help resolve this issue. It seems like this issue came about with a recent windows update or something. So this has all occurred within the last ~3 weeks.

I've tried to remove the GTX760, but that did nothing. Any one else have this issue recently?

Last edited:
All good here on two monitors. I'll play PUBG/Fortnite/BF1/BF4 and have something streaming and all good.

Acer predator 2560x1440 through DP (main/gaming), and knockoff 2560x1440 through DVI(2nd mon).

If wiping the drivers out with driver cleaner didn't do it, I always suggest a fresh OS install. With my base image, very few things are missed and gets me up and running within 30 mins.

EDIT: That said, I have not switched from NV to AMD to AMD CFx back to NV on my rig either. I'm betting its a driver remenant.

Yeah this is a bit of a strange one. Even low powered games such as Warcraft III will cause these issues, however with less "lag" introduced so somewhat better.

Yeah, I'd try a driver cleaner app and wipe out all drivers, both NV and AMD, and reinstall the NV again. If that doesn't work, I'd reinstall the OS. I fear the troubleshooting hole is deep on this one.

Keep us posted in what you try.

Back