• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recomended fan speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sunrunner20

Masta Tweeka!
I've never actually air cooled (went from stock P4-HT HSF to water), and I'm getting a Ultra-90 cheap to put on my Q6600. I'm wondering- what fan and/or what cfm. Looking for cheap cheap, probably from the classifieds.

if cheap. yeah, Yates gives you the best price/CFM at the low cost range. Can't beat that.

Are you are talking about the old Ultra 90, which takes 92 mm fans, right? How sensitive to noise are you?

If you aren't real noise sensitive, this Delta FFB0912VHE is a good choice for that heatsink, but I will tell you up front it's whiny. It is also only $4. If that is a bit too extreme for you, this Panaflo FBA09A12H for $6 is another decent choice for the old Ultra 90.

They still make some noise when spun down, but not unbearable. That is a focused flow fan, which makes it inherently more noisy (IMO) as compared to a conventional case fan. Put it on a fan controller and you can probably tame the noise enough for use. And that is a hell of a price on it too, for a server class fan.

EDIT: The complete specs on that Delta fan are as follows:

cfm - 85.46
rpm - 3800
power - 6 watts
max static pressure - 0.406 inches water
noise - 47.5 dBA

Back