• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommand a good liquid cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

hey all.

Here is some detail information about my system. 3930K overclocked @4.6Ghz on Asus P9X79 PRO MBO. Ripjaw Z DDR3 1866Mhz 64GB. Radeon HD 6970 2GB, 950W PSU, NZXT Phantom full tower. This system is built mainly for video editing. It is stable running @4.6Ghz with Vcore 1.408.

Current cooler Noctua NH-D14. I swaped out the stock fans, replaced with Noctua newest NF-12 PWM 120mm and NF-A15 140mm PWM fan

On top of that I've filled all 7 fans inside the nzxt tower. I can not keep this monster cool. When I am rendering 2hr HD video with a lot video effects etc. The system is running very hot 85c+ peak @91c. CPU Usage spike up to 96% rendering video. The airflow as follows,
top tower (2) 200mm fan> intake fan (1) 140mm front tower> intake fan (1) 120mm rare tower> exhaust fan. Side panel (2) 120mm exhaust fans and (1) 200mm exhaust fan. I can not get this monster cooled in the 80c max.

I am thinking about replace the air cooler with some high performance liquid cooler. I want some thing better than Corsair H100. Can you tell me or give me some specfic brand of liquid coolers. I prefered price range under $400.

Last edited:
Image1.jpg

I can not place the cooler on horizontal because the cooleer fins would be hitting the RAM sticks. Right now the hot air is exhaust in the rare of the tower and side panel.

You'll want a custom build if you want to go with water. For something cheaper, swap out the fans with some more powerful ones. And before you even bother with that, make sure your BIOS settings are sane.

Yeah, better performance in this case would be a custom water cooling loop. You should be able to do it around $400, and it should be much quieter. The only thing is that it takes a bit of research, both in parts and the physics behind the loop with choosing how much radiator you need and calculating the heatload and such. Custom loops also require periodic maintenance.

The Phantom is an okay case for watercooling in it's stock form. It can fit a pretty good amount of radiator space if you're willing to mod it though.

You'll want a custom build if you want to go with water. For something cheaper, swap out the fans with some more powerful ones. And before you even bother with that, make sure your BIOS settings are sane.

what do you mean? make sure your bios sane? It is running rock solid stable @4.6Ghz with vcore 1.408v. I already swaped out the noctua stock fan for their newest PWM fan 1500rpm .

Can you lower your GPU so D14 has some clearance on front of cooler so it can draw air?
And move the top front fan to lower optical drive bays as an intake blowing air directly toward D14.
Try unplugging big side fan and possibly reversing it. Check each way to see which runs coolest.
The 2x 120mm side fans and lower front fan are giving CPU & GPU little help with the HDD cages blocking them and open vent in bottom letting air out.

Can you lower your GPU so D14 has some clearance on front of cooler so it can draw air?
And move the top front fan to lower optical drive bays as an intake blowing air directly toward D14.
Try unplugging big side fan and possibly reversing it. Check each way to see which runs coolest.
The 2x 120mm side fans and lower front fan are giving CPU & GPU little help with the HDD cages blocking them and open vent in bottom letting air out.

I am thinking move the gpu down and add another noctua fan sanwich the heatsink,3 fans. And add another fan place it under the blu ray drive. air blowing in and exit to the rare. I certainly have fan available to try.

Last edited:
A third fan barely helps with this heatsink. Look into PH-TC14PE unless you want to do a custom water loop.

A third fan barely helps with this heatsink. Look into PH-TC14PE unless you want to do a custom water loop.

The heatsink you reference above is't it same output like NH-D14? I am going to try add the fans I mentioned above, see any improvement, sometime next week. If it does not improve cooling. I 've 2 choice. Go with custom water setup or back down the cpu speed to 4.3Ghz or about.

what do you mean? make sure your bios sane? It is running rock solid stable @4.6Ghz with vcore 1.408v. I already swaped out the noctua stock fan for their newest PWM fan 1500rpm .
1500RPM is (very) weak for a PC fan. A good one can go to more than 3000RPM, with the high end Deltas going well into the 5k range. Note that just because a fan *can* run at 3000RPM doesn't mean it *has* to do so! In fact, the main highlight of Cindy Wu sensorless FOC drive, used in Delta PWM fans, is actually good control throughout a wide speed range, not just loads of power.

Actually check the fan settings in the BIOS. Some of them are preset to cut in at way too high temperatures.

1500RPM is (very) weak for a PC fan. A good one can go to more than 3000RPM, with the high end Deltas going well into the 5k range. Note that just because a fan *can* run at 3000RPM doesn't mean it *has* to do so! In fact, the main highlight of Cindy Wu sensorless FOC drive, used in Delta PWM fans, is actually good control throughout a wide speed range, not just loads of power.

Actually check the fan settings in the BIOS. Some of them are preset to cut in at way too high temperatures.

I would not want to run 3000rpm fan because it would be freaking loud :( not suitable for me. I've seen some youtube video with 3000rpm fan. Sound like a vaccum. > NO GO

PS. You are running 3930K. What kind temp are you getting?

Like I said, as long as you get PWM/variable speed, the fan is not actually going to run at 3000 RPM until it is commanded to. I just connected a 120mm HHE Delta (one of the two I'm going to use in my hybrid air conditioner project) to my bench PSU and with the blue wire connected to ground (command minimum speed), it's practically silent. The beauty of Cindy Wu is in acting as a sine wave inverter at low speed to avoid "motor buzz" and acting as a trapezoidal wave inverter at high speed so performance is not sacrificed.

For you information, here are the phase to ground and neutral to ground voltages coming off a Delta fan running at full speed:
2ijsx9t.png.jpg
Note that despite the phase to ground waveform being trapezoidal, the phase to neutral waveform is still close to a sine wave.

My 3930k stays in the low 60s at full load, but I'm running a much more modest 3.8GHz.

The heatsink you reference above is't it same output like NH-D14? I am going to try add the fans I mentioned above, see any improvement, sometime next week. If it does not improve cooling. I 've 2 choice. Go with custom water setup or back down the cpu speed to 4.3Ghz or about.

IIRC there are more fins per inch on the Phanteks than the Noctua. That would allow for better cooling with extra air flow.

The Noctua is meant to perform well while being quiet, but doesn't benefit much from big fans/more fans. Give this a read before spending money on fans for the Noctua.

TL;DR: Unless you're looking for 50+ dB on the Noctua, you won't see big gains.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't believe any of the top coolers will give more than 5-7c improvement over stock no matter how many cfm the fans are.
TC14PE with stock and TY-143 130cfm/2500rpm fans give about 5c improvement. Three different systems all gave similar results.
Silver Arrow SB-E running stock fans and running TY-143 fans (SA SB-E Extreme) gives about 5-8c improvement.

$500 and starting to read for 2-3 weeks in the WC forum will cool that baby down in a heartbeat.

In 2-5 weeks after spending lots of time learning you'll be ready for a parts list to post and then you build.

Then we can finish the WC build with great parts. You'll be quiet and cool. You rush like so many fools do, it's not gonna be fun. For the advisors or you.

Hey, Thanks for the head up about high power fan, Delta fan. At first I really don't want a fan that loud and powerful. After much thought and researching about custom liquid cooling etc. I saw this youtube video and I just ordered 2 of this bad boys.

PFC1212DE 120x120x38mm Cooling Fan, 252.85 CFM, 5500 RPM, 66.5 dBA, 4.8Amp by Delta and Lamptron FC2 Fan Speed Controller 45W x 6 channel Black. This will definitely keep my pc cooled.

Last edited:
Hey, Thanks for the head up about high power fan, Delta fan. At first I really don't want a fan that loud and powerful. After much thought and researching about custom liquid cooling etc. I saw this youtube video and I just ordered 2 of this bad boys.

PFC1212DE 120x120x38mm Cooling Fan, 252.85 CFM, 5500 RPM, 66.5 dBA, 4.8Amp by Delta and Lamptron FC2 Fan Speed Controller 45W x 6 channel Black. This will definitely keep my pc cooled.
That's a great fan. Some of the larger rackmount Dells at work use them. You don't need a fan controller with the PWM version. (And you do want the PWM version since voltage controlling the regular type won't get you very much dynamic range.) Just make an adapter to connect power and ground from the PSU and RPM and PWM to the motherboard header. The Cindy Wu magic inside the inverter DSP chip will do the rest.

Hi Mike,

Can you please send me a picture and email to me, how you made adapter to connect to power supply. [email protected] that would a great help.

Because I am kinda confused. The Delta fan is a PWM 4 pin connector. That 4 pin connector(PWM) connect to MBO 4 pin header. The question is how do you connect wires to the psu. All I see on the fan picture is a 4 wires to 4 pin connector. This is a high power fan. It must get power from the psu. Please send me a picture of how you connected your. A Picture speak a thousand words :) My 950W psu has a lot of 12V connectors. Please help me out. My Delta fan should be coming soon. I am just looking ahead on how to do the connection.

I am thinking is to get a 12v molex male adapter connect to psu and splice the wire Red/black to fan's red/black? is that make any sense? Any way. please need pictures. Thank you

Back