• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommand a good liquid cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You cut the 12VDC wires and connect to a molex. The PWM wires and plug are connected to the mobo. So the Mobo supplies the PWM, and the PSU supplies the power. Easy.

Thank you very much. :) I appreciated.

Edit. I was confused earlier.. Now I am cleared.
CPU_FAN & CPU_OPT are PWM).

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
My delta fan is here. I am having problem gettting power to the fan. Can you guys explain to me. Here what I did and it not working and I don't have a multimeter at the movement.

The delta fan come with 4 pins pwm> 4 wires. 1 blue >rpm, 1 Yellow> 1 pwm, Red> 1 power, Black> ground. I cut off the red and black wires, then I plug in the 2 wires yellow and blue into the mbo 4 pins header. The psu 12v connectors are all female and 4 wires, 2 black wires 1 yellow, 1 red. I cut the red and black wire of the female connector and connect that to the fan, red and black wire. I power on the pc, the fan not getting power because it is not spining. Please help explain this . Thanks you all

On the molex, the yellow wire is +12v. The red is +5v, not enough to start the fan. ;)

On the molex, the yellow wire is +12v. The red is +5v, not enough to start the fan. ;)

Thank you very much. That would explain why the fan is not running. I will connect to the yellow tomorrow monring.

Notice you are located in the greater Rochester area. You're most welcome neighbor. :)

Yuper. I am in Rochester very close by the Rochester International Airport. :thup:

I got the delta fan up running and did rendering video and I definately see an improvement in temp and the cpu able to stay right at 4.6ghz without throttling down. That is good. With the noctua fan, the cpu would throttle down to 3.8ghz-4.5ghz rendering video (cpu usage at 91% range)

I also did prime95 and will definately running hot. I felt the delta fan is not running full speed 5500rpm on Prime95. Because I don't have a rpm monitor, so I am seeing blind. I 've seen youtube video, full speed this fan is sounding like a turbo jet engine. I don't hear this on my mine. My fan controller should be coming any day now. I am going to try to connect it to fan controller, in normal use of the pc I am going to set the fan running at around 2300rpm and full load I push the fan to 5500rpm to keep everything cool. What are yous think?

I check the fan speed in the bios, it is showing 3850rpm.

PS. After much reading on the internet, I get more understanding ASUS Q FAN control. I will disable Q FAN control and do manual setting of fan speed, see how it go.

Last edited:
I got it all configured. I've to install AI Suite II and use Fan Xpert to do custom fan rpm. I set the fan @30% at 42c fan run @2486rpm and at 70c fan run 100% @5000rpm. The delta fan is rated at 5500rpm. But the actual fan rpm is about 5018rpm max. At 5018rpm, the fan is not as loud like the video I saw on youtube and linked here. Maybe that because my fan is function based on PWM. A constant full power @5000rpm with a fan controller would be louder. Would'nt you agree?

Last edited:
The fan motor is running on what is basically a sine wave, so you don't get as much "motor buzz" as a square wave drive. It is indeed PWM (or PDM) that allows a DSP like the Cindy Wu to synthesize sine waves, but don't confuse that with the PWM signal the motherboard sends to the DSP in order to command a speed.

The fan motor is running on what is basically a sine wave, so you don't get as much "motor buzz" as a square wave drive. It is indeed PWM (or PDM) that allows a DSP like the Cindy Wu to synthesize sine waves, but don't confuse that with the PWM signal the motherboard sends to the DSP in order to command a speed.

You should read the PSU forums. You been called out, LOL. Prove it.:rofl:

NM, already done. Ohh.

Last edited:

I am running 3 of these bad boys now, 252cfm each and my 6 cores 4.6ghz never get pass 71c on prime95. Before, it would be in the range of 85c-91c.

I set the fan idle @2300rpm and is perfectly acceptable in noise. I bet you can not hear the fan noise from 12 feet away from my computer. But when the cpu loads, you can definately hear the cool sounds at 4000-5000rpm range, rpm hover up and down because of PWM capable fan. It is not bad enough to drive me nuts. I like it so far.

2 delta fan on Noctua NH-D14. 1 fan is on top and 1 fan is on the buttom. I leave the center section open. I removed the default NZXT full tower rare 120mm exhaust fan and installed the high performace delta fan in its place. I set it around 2200rpm to keep the noise low. The rare exhaust delta fan move enough hot air out quickly to keep my pc cooled. At the point, I am finally done with my pc cooling quest.

That's a control issue, not a problem with the fan. Basically, the Cindy Wu bit is really just a very specialized VFD that varies its output frequency based on the speed command it receives. (It's actually a lot more complicated than that, but the end result is basically that...) The controller, built into the motherboard, is what's doing the PID control. Most likely the settings were not tuned for that particular cooling setup so it ends up "hunting". You can try tweaking a few BIOS settings if your board has them. (My DX79SI lets me adjust the response speed as well as the damping.) On your board, there might be some other fan profile that reacts a little more gradually.

That's a control issue, not a problem with the fan. Basically, the Cindy Wu bit is really just a very specialized VFD that varies its output frequency based on the speed command it receives. (It's actually a lot more complicated than that, but the end result is basically that...) The controller, built into the motherboard, is what's doing the PID control. Most likely the settings were not tuned for that particular cooling setup so it ends up "hunting". You can try tweaking a few BIOS settings if your board has them. (My DX79SI lets me adjust the response speed as well as the damping.) On your board, there might be some other fan profile that reacts a little more gradually.

I think you miss understand of what I say. But let me clarify a bit. I did not described correctly in regards to fan rpm. For example, the pc is idling at 2300rpm and cpu usage is at 0-1%. And let say, I am editing photo in photoshop and applied effects and the cpu usage went up to 9% and the fan rpm is kick in let say 3000rpm and drop back down to 2300rpm where it was set and cpu usage is also drop back down to 0-1%. Hope this will clear up of what I meant above post. :) I love my delta fan and I am a fan of delta fans forever. Delta fan PWM rules.....

Cindy Wu.

Bruce, just play with it till your happy. NiHalo is a very good electrical engineer we think. He always posts 13 grade levels above what we need to know.

Keep at the settings and try diff fans etc.

Back