• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
I am building a new steamroller rig soon. It is going to be a Steam / Media PC system. I am installing the AMD A10-7850k APU and need to pick a heatsink.

The case I have selected is this SilverStone Milo Series ML07B

The case has an overall height of ~100mm. Assuming standoffs, motherboard, socket and CPU thickness I am guessing I will have around 75mm of working height left.

IMO the stock AMD HS/F that comes with these chips is too loud for the space Im putting it in. Im basically looking for something with equivalent cooling capacity and lower noise threshold. FrozenCPU still has some of the scythe big shuriken coolers in stock so I may go for that since its under 60mm in height.

I LOVE the EVO 212 +. I can put the fan at low speed and still provide a lot of cooling for a noise level that I can not hear in a quiet room.

Noctua makes a few low profile heatsinks that'd serve you well. The NH-L12 comes to mind first though.

Silverstone's spec lists 83mm CPU cooler height.
You can run the NH-L12 with just the 92mm fan and it's 66mm tall :thup:

Well I decided to pick up this HS/F

Thermalright AXP-200

Its 73mm in height so it should clear the case. Depending on the noise level I may try and swap it out for something else later. Thanks for the suggestions!

A real good substitute would be a stock cooler from an AMD FX8XXX CPU. You should be able to find one cheap if not free. I have used a couple of these in smaller builds and they have worked well.

I LOVE the EVO 212 +. I can put the fan at low speed and still provide a lot of cooling for a noise level that I can not hear in a quiet room.

The 212+ will be to tall for this application.

A real good substitute would be a stock cooler from an AMD FX8XXX CPU. You should be able to find one cheap if not free. I have used a couple of these in smaller builds and they have worked well.

Lol have you heard the stock FX heatsinks. Lol my vacuum isn't that loud! Lol

Let us know how that thermalright works out. I have the Max orb in my AM2 build and I'm considering a HTPC build in the near future.

Let us know how that thermalright works out. I have the Max orb in my AM2 build and I'm considering a HTPC build in the near future.

Yeah, lets see if we cant source a Volcano instead :)

Yes I Have and if I didn't feel it was a worth comment it wouldn't be here. Remember when this heat synk is on an FX8XXX CPU it is turning allot faster ...... this is not the case with using a low wattage CPU as in this case here.

Back