• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend Mini ITX combo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whoops. Decided I'd asked a stupid question and went ahead and deleted that post. Hadn't realized you had responded to me. Thanks for the info Woomack.

-----------

Here's a question, purely out of curiosity since it doesn't apply to my intended usage. But why do they still bother putting a second PCI-E 3.0 slot on all these motherboards if they're going to limit it to 4X ?

Last edited:
Whoops. Decided I'd asked a stupid question and went ahead and deleted that post. Hadn't realized you had responded to me. Thanks for the info Woomack.

-----------

Here's a question, purely out of curiosity since it doesn't apply to my intended usage. But why do they still bother putting a second PCI-E 3.0 slot on all these motherboards if they're going to limit it to 4X ?

SSD's, SATA controllers, WiFi cards, audio cards, RAID cards, USB add in cards, etc, etc, etc.

If the second slot is a full x16 slot running at x4 you could in theory run a second AMD gpu for crossfire as they only require a x4 lane for the second card.

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5. Anybody have any experience with Gigabyte boards ? Their Micro ATX G1 Gaming boards are on a slight sale on a couple of websites, they seem pretty fully featured but don't know what to expect as far as OC ability.

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5. Anybody have any experience with Gigabyte boards ? Their Micro ATX G1 Gaming boards are on a slight sale on a couple of websites, they seem pretty fully featured but don't know what to expect as far as OC ability.
On ambient cooling you'll be fine.

I had no chance to test GB Z170 board but some forum members had various issues with some memory kits on gigabyte boards. Hard to say if it's hardware or user's issue. Anyway there were patches for Corsair memory compatibility if I remember it right.

For 2 days now I've been teetering on a decision between Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming (Micro) or the ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming (Mini) with only a combination of irrational fears and un-likely future use scenarios keeping from driving this new system right now.

One looks nicer than the other ( Case side panel window )
Will it run my RAM @: spec ?
One is a little cheaper than the other
Why is one a little bit cheaper than the other?
Will this system see a day when I need/want more than 16 GB RAM ?
Will directx 12 change my position on Multi GPU and make me want to Combine my GTX 980Ti with my 970 ? (Just reading into this topic now)
Will I some day want to down size this system to a truly Mini form factor ?
Will I miss the extra USB rear ports if I choose the Gigabyte board ?
ASUS familiarity
I'm told ASUS bios causes a longer boot time than other Brand Bios ( Time lost making this post, Reading forms, comparing products, and watching youtube videos related to these products, incalculable )
I'm told Gigabyte Bios sucks.
Duel Bios !
USB 3.1 - C !
What is USB 3.1 - C ?

I don't say this jokingly, I'm seriously considering flipping a coin.

Last edited:
Which case did you settle on? The thread started out as mITX, but now you're throwing out mATX boards as options.

Yes, when this started out as a mini build I was satisfied that my main system (FX System in signature) was perfectly up to par with my 980TI and able to carry the latest games maxed out @ 21:9 1440p well enough.

So the GTX 970 which was a mistake on my part, I ordered it in anticipation of going 1440p, but then decided to go Ultra wide and wasn't satisfied with it's performance @ 21:9 so I bought a GTX 980Ti right away and shelved the 970. A total waste I know and I either couldn't bare the thought or immediately re-selling it at a loss, or couldn't be bothered to try and sell it, or both. I also had a second PSU since I ordered a replacement so I wouldn't be without one while I sent my failing Corsair PSU in for Warranty replacement.

Then I got to thinking it would be cool to have a second system in a super tight format for things like Local Coop and converting my console buddies, and that it might be better to spend more money than watch a perfectly good 970 collect dust. I was picturing something like a lower end Intel chip, probably would have gone with a 6100 and a cheap limited Mini motherboard/Raijintek Metis.

But my recent run in with Rise of the Tomb Raider basically showed me that the FX - 8350 is going to be bottle necking my system in some newer titles. ( I'm hearing about other titles that are struggling as well, IE. X-Com 2 ) This experience set me on a whole new track. Now I'm thinking that I want a high end Intel setup to be my main rig, that means new considerations for everything, size, cooling, features, etc etc. So I've become very scatter brained over the whole subject, all in all I've been a very inefficient PC builder and I should probably just stop now.

So, just to make sure, now you're back to one high-end computer as the target?
How small do you want it to be? My gaming system (980Ti for 5760x1080) is in a Hadron Air and it does VERY well.

Well, technically, once I get the new CPU/Mobo/RAM I have enough components for 2 PC's, but the focus is only on the new high end system yes. I'm still thinking it over but I'll end up flipping a coin tomorrow morning. I'll post back with what I've gone with, and I'll probably post my RAM choice for scrutiny before pulling the trigger actually.

I've actually already bought a Bitfenix Prodigy M, but I'm planning on OCing my FX-8350 on the side, so I'm thinking maybe my current FX-8350 CPU will be moved to the Bitfenix M for the better cooling. (2x 120mm sock fans, 1x 140mm rear fan, and 1x 230mm bottom fan, for which oddly there is no dust filter). Though nothing is certain yet, It's likely that the new Intel system will go into my current Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E mATX case.

Though the Raijintek Metis case is fairly inexpensive if I still wanted a mini build, I think attempting to stick an OCed 6700k + my current 980Ti into it might be impractical, even with the big side fan case mod I was planning to do with it. What do you think? I'm not apposed to case mods, my current full sized motherboard sits in a mATX case right now, and if I decide it's going into the Bitfenix Prodigy M... it is.

I couldn't consider the Hadron Air because I'm using an existing ATX PSU and I don't know what case modding would allow me to get it in there. Maybe up front where the hard drive racks are. But the glass window takes away some of the portability appeal of going mini, since now I would be nervous to just throw this thing into a suit case or something, I'd need to give it similar consideration to a mATX case.

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n_DDR4_SDRAM_DDR4_2133-_-20-104-531-_-Product

On the Canadian website it says "Price drop save $70 ( 44% )
On the US website it says "Price drop save $4.50 ( 6% )

When you do the math on the exchange rate, they are both the same exact price point. hahah, you jokers.

-----

I'm considering Gskill Ripjaws V Series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232176

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231933

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232178

Unless there is an even 3000mhz 2X8 dual kit that looks better for the price.

-------------

these look really cool, LED lights that " breath " as work load increases. Specs/price look good too, I might actually go with these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144922

Last edited:
I'd wait it out a few more months. Let ZEN get released so Intel can be Trumped. No sense in buying Intel now just to go back to AMD later!

Ok. I've been watching some DirectX 12 videos and reading on it. I've all but decided to go with the Gigabyte Micro board for it's 2 GPU slots.

One question, and I know I'm asking somebody to predict the future here, but it's likely somebody else's estimation is better than my own since I know nothing about PCI - E lanes.

What do you think the chances are that running 8X / 8X could limit me in any way, in say a DirectX 12 980Ti + 970 Asymetric Scenario (for post processing, physX, lighting)

The Unknown for me here is where I should expect the limitations of PCI-E 8X to reveal themselves. It would be silly to buy a motherboard based on the potential to run 2 cards in the future, if 8X would negate my gains in such a scenario with a high end GPU such as my 980Ti or any near future GPU.

Last edited:
Currently PCIe 3.0 x8 will not limit a modern GPU by more than 1-2%, so I doubt you'd have issue going forward.

just say no to the LED's on the Kit

the Tridents are a little more, but pretty cool heat sink design

Shrimp, you causing trouble ? Everyone knows Zen is simply a myth ........... :rofl:

Back