• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend Mini ITX combo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How do you guys feel about low profile coolers like these for a 6700k ? With some overclock expectations of course.

RAIJINTEK PALLAS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=3821802&SID=ilxusytttl000a1700053

cryorig c7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3&cm_re=CRYORIG_c7-_-9SIA4UF39D5213-_-Product

This looks decent as well, it's a little shorter than the 212 EVO, so I'm reasonably confidant that although this system will probably never be downsized into a true mini rig, if I ever get the notion to do so, I would likely be ok with this cooler in the link below.

cryorig M9i

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=3821802&SID=ilxumiiw6i000a1700053

What height do you need to be at/under?

Well. Put it this way, I'm fairly confidant that a 212 EVO would just make it in my current case, but I was wondering if there is something of comparable performance with a shorter silhouette. How much shorter ? I don't know it's kind of arbitrary. I like the design of the cryorig c7 and Raijintek Pallas and feel like I could put them into just about any Mini form factor case if I decide to downsize the system from my current case ( in signature ). So if I'm going to buy a cooler, I'd like to buy one that keeps my options open. But of course I want to overclock the 6700k first and for most, so I was hoping I could find a cooler that has a "safe" size and a reasonable cooling factor at the same time. Not looking to break records but I don't want to waste the K.

There are a lot of options really. 92mm coolers (see the Noctua in my signature), top down coolers, and others.

I ask because the bigger the fan you can use and the more heatsink you have the quieter it can be.

The Noctua NH- U9S looks the same in size and design as theC RYORIG M9i, but costs 3X more $, would the performance gap justify that? The other coolers I linked to have. The Raijintek has a 140mm fan.

Noise level isn't usually a concern for me either.

================

Ok so upon further research, those flat broad top down Coolers don't perform well for OCing by comparison to traditional designs and have the added aggravation of Memory compatibility and motherboard headers being blocked and such. I'm going to look at some other more mainstream cooler designs.

Last edited:
There are a lot of options really. 92mm coolers (see the Noctua in my signature), top down coolers, and others.

I ask because the bigger the fan you can use and the more heatsink you have the quieter it can be.

Do you know how the smaller form factor cooler (NH- U9S) performs by comparison to a middle of the road full sized cooler such as a 212 EVO or Cryorig H7 ? Would you expect to get any overclock headroom on a big heat output processor like an FX-8350 ?

I believe Frostytech has some results with the U9S.
If you want to overclock the 8350 though, I suggest a dual rad (240mm, 280mm) AIO or an NH-D14/NH-D15 as a minimum.

Which CPU will you be cooling though? The first post suggests a 6700K, but now you're asking about the 8350.
For reference, I run my 6700K at 4.5GHz without issue on the U9S. Could run higher, but the Stinger gets flaky.

I believe Frostytech has some results with the U9S.
If you want to overclock the 8350 though, I suggest a dual rad (240mm, 280mm) AIO or an NH-D14/NH-D15 as a minimum.

My FX is not on a motherboard that would allow a high overclock anyway, 4.4 at most I think.

Which CPU will you be cooling though? The first post suggests a 6700K, but now you're asking about the 8350.
For reference, I run my 6700K at 4.5GHz without issue on the U9S. Could run higher, but the Stinger gets flaky.

That's the thing, I don't know yet. I've got a convoluted process going on here, involving a " For now " scenario that also allows for a "In the future " scenario. Clear as mud ?

Thanks for the Lead, I'll check out Frostytech's results with the U9S. It's quite expensive but I don't mind if it can serve multiple scenarios.

========

Edit: Frostytech looks like the site to go too, thanks.

Last edited:
Definitely clear as mud, hope I've helped you figure it out... lol

Also, even pushing into the mid-4GHz range I would want an NH-D14 at a minimum.

Definitely clear as mud, hope I've helped you figure it out... lol

Also, even pushing into the mid-4GHz range I would want an NH-D14 at a minimum.

That thing is a monstrosity, it looks like it would break the middle section right out of the motherboard if I were to set the case down a little to hard....I was wondering how far increasing heatsink size can take you.

==

I'm afraid of Water cooling, too many disaster vids on youtube.

Last edited:
Both work just fine, have used both without any issue.

You realize the disaster vids are of people who didn't do proper research into water cooling, correct?

Good luck overclocking the 8350 without one of them, you won't get too awful far.

Both work just fine, have used both without any issue.

You realize the disaster vids are of people who didn't do proper research into water cooling, correct?

You just described the way I do everything.

Good luck overclocking the 8350 without one of them, you won't get too awful far.

I believe you.

It's not economical for me to spend $100+ to go from 4.0 to 4.4 as I'm not OCing as a hobby, but actually hoping to buy a few extra Min FPS, so it has to make $ense. Maybe I'll try for 4.3 on something simple like 212 EVO or Cryorig H7 and call it a day whether I get there or not. The Bitfenix Prodigy M case I'll using has 2X 120mm facing down on the top of the GPU, and a 230mm Case fan pointing up at the CPU from the floor of the case. Also a 140mm PWM fan sucking out the back, so hopefully I can rely on good case flow to get me the rest of the way.

Do you guys normally take measures to secure your Giant heat sinks so they don't wreck your board, or just move your case very carefully ?

My Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E has a Heat sink support on the bottom of the case, which will be great for peace of mind, but the Bitfenix has nothing of the sort.

Last edited:
I never once worried about the D14 I owned breaking something, and it never happened. Rode down the highway with it mounted too.

The D14 is nowhere near $100, seems to make sense to use it in your situation. It'll be quiet and handle the heat, what more do you want?

I never once worried about the D14 I owned breaking something, and it never happened. Rode down the highway with it mounted too.

The D14 is nowhere near $100, seems to make sense to use it in your situation. It'll be quiet and handle the heat, what more do you want?

Ok, $75 sorry, its hard juggling all these numbers swirling around in my head right now. Never the less I've begun taking measurements and marking things for modification for one of these projects, which is to move my current ATX board into the Bitfenix Prodigy M, and as it turns out the Heat sink is going to need to be under a certain size and mounted vertically as apposed to the usual horizontal mountings I see people doing. I'm looking at some measurements on newegg, and it looks like the H7 and 212 Evo will just make it BUT.....

If I'm to keep the 230mm fan on the floor pulling into the case then I'm also gonna need to invert the Heatsink fan and have it pulling through the heatsink from above, and that leaves the heatsink, according to my measurements, just about resting on top of the 230mm Case fan....

In your experience should I expect to lose a considerable amount of airflow by pulling through the Sink as apposed to pushing ? Your expertise is appreciated. I'm gonna make a little amateur built Log that I'll post up at some point.

=======

PS, I've gone ahead with the Gigabyte Micro ATX GA-Z170MX gaming 5

Last edited:
The Prodigy M is for mATX, not ATX.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the heatsink and 230mm fan... sorry.

The Prodigy M is for mATX, not ATX.

I know, so is the Case in my Sig with an ATX board in it ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the heatsink and 230mm fan... sorry.

Just pulling air through the sink instead of pushing it through. The 230mm is not part of a scheme, it's just in the way sooo I can eliminate it, or work around it.

Last edited:
Don't know I've ever seen any testing done to show what happens on the D14 in the configuration you're talking about. I assume it would be a decent hit to cooling power.

Back