• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for my core 2 extreme project - HP Pavilion slimline s5-1014

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voltage and Amps measured by HWMonitor… not sure how accurate these #s are but they sure look good in terms of keeping TDP under control. Clocked my QX6850 @ 3.8Ghz with a core voltage of 1.408.

Capturevoltage.PNG

Just a quick update. I have attempted to flash the ROM but I am getting a "bios is write protected error"
Currently researching this I may just need the proper switches in dos when I use this program.

Is it AFUDOS? I think you need to add an X at the end so it won't check the BIOS ID

Is it AFUDOS? I think you need to add an X at the end so it won't check the BIOS ID
I will try the X switch using AFUDOS as well as the windows based flash program.

Would be really awesome if this works. Three gigahertz quad core HTPC for the win!

With a modded BIOS I would definitely do it through DOS. It might just be because it's HP related too. I have had to use specific engineering flasher before to change my Max formula to a Rampage. Pretty sure it's located in this thread if you want to try that version of AFUDOS https://www.overclockers.com/forums...sion-Plus-Vdrop-mod?highlight=rampage+formula

Thank you. That thread puts everything together in good order. However, I am still getting a bios is write protected error. I downloaded all versions of afudos and saved them to the root of the thumb drive, still with each one it gives me the same error (even from DOS). When I try with afu412.exe it says flash part is not supported. Tried with different switches and everything.

EDIT: I am thinking that this BIOS may be locked down from HP. I don't know for sure, but it appears there was never any BIOS updates released for this particular system. Leading me to believe the system may be locked.

Last edited:
if you want a cool running quad core then consider either the Q9450S or Q9550S, 65watt. then force the 6x multi and get even lower TDP then using a 95watt tdp cpu.
It would be nice but the system only supports the 95W Yorkfield, no listing for the 65 w varient. I imagine I would run into the same CPU not supported error if I chose to get the "S" Core 2 Quad.

If the BIOS update does not work I will be proceeding with the purchase of an AMD 6450 low profile graphics card ($7) and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 ($14).

EDIT: I just purchased all the above plus a Display Port to DVI adapter. This little upgrade will really wake the system up and allow for dual monitor support.

I am holding on to my QX6850 as I haven't totally given up on the BIOS update as of yet.

Here is the error message I get:
40381363_861437267242_510015014074056704_o.jpg

Last edited:
That chip could be write only

Im afraid so. We will see one way other the other tonight.

Here is my reasoning behind the video card purchase. Does not get great reviews for gaming but this is more for a home theatre / HTPC build.

"Under what circumstances might you genuinely want a 6450? If you're building a small, simple system, such as a nettop or a home theater PC, or if power draw is a major concern, then this card will do the trick. It uses a maximum of 27 watts of power under load, and as little as 9 watts while idle; in our power tests, a system built with the 6450 used a mere 155 watts of power when under load."

EDIT: Power supply is 220W

Here is the error message I'm getting:
IMG_20180831_145720247_LLL.jpg

Last edited:
With some help from member "deathbringer" over on bios-mods.com, we were able to successfully update the bios!!!!

Using AFUWIN from a windows 10 command line was the trick, and BINGO! We got it.

Now running QX6850 from the Slimline. Haters gonna hate, but this thing is awesome!

Can't wait to install my Radeon HD 6450 and get my dual monitors going!

CaptureMAX.PNG

Evilizer, you might want to amend your posting that this would never work!

Last edited:
look, it sounds like your more after a fight now cause someone told you it wont work. some of us have been around and still remember what works and doesnt. if you think a voltage adjustment with a bios mod is going to make it magically work then go for it.

now no longer interested...

Actually, it so happens that just the BIOS-MOD did the trick. No need for undervolting at the moment.

Couple points here we can take away from this thread:

The G41 chipset does indeed support the QX6850 processor

Don't always know what works and what doesn't.

This is also an overclocking forum. I encourage overclocking, not discourage.

Nice to see it worked. Were there any specific commands or just using the in Windows utility?

Nice to see it worked. Were there any specific commands or just using the in Windows utility?

I had to use WINRAR to extract the official BIOS release, then replace the factory HP ROM with the custom one and flash using AFUDOS.exe (also included).

As for the command line switching, I did what he advised and came up empty. The original switch was /p /b /c /x

But that didn't work so I tried a couple more switches until BOOM it suddenly took, and as far as I remember it was just with the /p /b switches.

Last edited:
In a search for low profile coolers I came across the Reeven Brontes on Newegg - a quiet 100mm low profile CPU cooler with 4 heatpipes for ITX and HTPC.

This will go perfect with my build and should be the final ingredient in making this system run cool and quiet. Cooler is about $35 shipped.

AA09_130954878296758228qD8v9bTCXx.jpg
AA09_130954878304883151VTHPKa6mMS.jpg
fan1.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back