• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations to budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
[...]
Might I suggest using SRCD to create a backup image of your C: drive (/dev/sda2)? It's pretty easy to setup, and only takes about 30 minutes or so.

I'll have a look. In many years I've yet to find a backup system I really like, which is how I ended up first learning some *Nix. :screwy:

By the way, this rig has done nothing but scream from the start. This ordeal has only reinforced it's overall integrity for the price.

Thanks Dlaw,

Mike

Oh no! Lightening strike kills mobo

Hi,

Thread is revisited to see if there are recommendations on finding a replacement MOBO.
The machine's hard wire network saw a lightening surge extreme exposure.
SSD drive survived, backup data retained.

The machine still worked on alternate network interface but soon complained of USB requiring too much power drain.
Board now fails to run after post reaches F11 boot menu.
The setup page shows only for a split second when board shuts down.
Each attempt to restart requires the power supply switch to cycle while holding start button in.
CMOS was cleared, RAM swapped and relocated, no joy.
All peripherals removed, Debug codes appear to complete until setup page.
It's assumed this is a power supply crow bar else debug should have more indication.
An alternate power supply behaved exactly the same.

Build was from suggestions here on posting 17.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums...ns-to-budget?p=7847333&viewfull=1#post7847333

The MOBO used was Newegg ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

This MOBO appears to be out of production now and little luck finding a replacement.
Hoping to hear if anyone knows of a working board for sale or can recommend an alternate MOBO for the Intel i7 4790K?

This system worked remarkably well / solid for some 2 plus years.

Much appreciation for suggestions if anyone should pick up this older thread.

Regards,

Mike

Welcome back AFP. Sorry to hear about you equipment troubles.

Have you looked on eBay for a replacement board. They are no longer making boards for that generation of CPU so used or "eBay New" will likely be your best option if you're not ready to upgrade.

Thanks Blaylock,

I was afraid of that. I'm seeing some stock at various resellers used or new. Prices are nearly double.

I'm thinking I might be better to up the MOBO and the CPU both if the geoforce GTX 960 video card would cooperate.

What's current now for clocked options? Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Mike

If you're looking to upgrade the CPU, Intel i7-8700k and the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X would be good options to begin your search. Both options are similarly priced and will require DDR4 ram.

Your GTX 960 would still function fine though you may want to consider upgrading it at some point as it is about three generations old now.

If you decide to just replace your current Mobo you would need to stick with the Z97 or Z87 boards.

Back