• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended component upgrade frequency/periods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

litesky

Financially speaking... would it be better to continuously look to upgrade my system 1-3 times a year and sell the previously used hardware (which, i'd imagine should still be somewhat new and in demand) and stay a bit ahead of the curve in terms of performance or would it be better to spend $1-2k on a setup every 3-5 years?

I'm sure there are pros and cons of each, and it's really a choice, but my naive mind is telling me that both paths would even out in terms of cost theoretically speaking. Anyone with experience have an idea and would like to share some thoughts? What is your upgrade frequency/period for your PC and what would you recommend?

Also, Hi! long-time lurker here but finally mustered up enough energy to sign up, login and post.

for cost I find that run her till she blows works out very well, dingles, dongle, I'm still running stuff I bought back in 2012.

for cost I find that run her till she blows works out very well, dingles, dongle, I'm still running stuff I bought back in 2012.

Ok, but do you not feel that the amount to be spent on the next setup could've been used over the past 4-5 years to keep your system to date?

Ok, but do you not feel that the amount to be spent on the next setup could've been used over the past 4-5 years to keep your system to date?

I think his point is for the past 4-5 years CPU upgrades year to year are only 5-10% so a cpu from 2012 with a current GPU will play everything just fine .
So buy a decent CPU when you need one and upgrade your GPU a few times before a New CPU is needed .

I upgrade often just because I like to play with the newest stuff. Every year or so is what I find myself doing as far as the CPU and motherboard. Since I don't do much gaming having the latest and fastest GPU, which is the most expensive component for hard core gamers, is not important to me. So I save money on the GPU and go for the goodies on the CPU and motherboard. Although lately I'm getting too lazy to change out the parts. Slowing down I guess.

Upgrade when you're no longer satisfied with how she runs. If games get bottlenecked by gpu to the point of unbearable, get new gpu. If whole system aged enough to where it don't run right anymore, get something new.

Of course there's no sense in holding back if that credit card gets itchy..

- - - Updated - - -

..Since I don't do much gaming having the latest and fastest GPU,
...Although lately I'm getting too lazy to change out the parts. Slowing down I guess.

[Has current gen graphics card] :rofl:
Sir, I had to glance at your signature for a moment there! Nope, still young and strong!

I think his point is for the past 4-5 years CPU upgrades year to year are only 5-10% so a cpu from 2012 with a current GPU will play everything just fine .
So buy a decent CPU when you need one and upgrade your GPU a few times before a New CPU is needed .

this is soooooooo true, it's not been worth paying 600 bucks to upgrade even my amd FX rigs to ryzen for what I would gain in what I do with them, I'm going straight to threadrippers.
my game rig is all the way back to z97/4790K and I guess that will be the base of it for a while to come. the gpus might change but my 980TI's game everything I enjoy so I'll stand pat till they don't draw pretty pictures on the screens.
of course I have 1060's and 1080's also to work with, but for gaming I don't "need" them.

Back