• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would this be worth the upgrade performance wise???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so right now i have a computer HP Z400 LGA1366 with a xeon w3565 at stock speeds which is similar in specs to an i7 960. and im wondering i can buy a xeon W3690 which is the same as an i7 990X for around 100$ im wondering will this be a good performance increase gaming wise below is the info you may need

current specs
w3565,16 gigs ddr3 ram,sapphire platinum RX470 4GB, gaming at 1080p below is a list of the games i play

doom 4,the witcher 3,battlefield 1, call of duty WW2,GTA5

i was told i could use the intel XTU utility to easily overclock the cpu to 4GHz would i see a decent performance increase if i upgrade to the 3690 in terms of stock speed as well as if i overclock it?

cant afford a new pc build so this pc has to last me the next 4-6 years before i can afford to upgrade to a better pc

More cores? No.

Save your money for a more substantial upgrade. You are lacking in IPC, not cores and threads.

Worth it, however, is up to you after looking up performance differences.

That's a tough spot to be in. The CPU won't give you anything noticeable, and your GPU is almost as good as a RX 480 when you OC the 470. Honestly, for 1080p you have a pretty good 1080p gaming rig. I would have loved having your rig when I was gaming on a Phenom X4 at 2.75 GHz with a R7 260x. Heck, it would smoke the FX 6350/R7 260x rig I had at that resolution (or any other). Keep saving. You're doing well at the level of expense you're in to. :thup:

I just noticed the OP saod 4-6 years and still gaming on this PC? Yikes... thats going to be painful no matter how many threads you have.

Id imagine many games wouldnt even run in a couple years. I couldnt imagine gaming today on a Athlon 64 x2 (~10 y.o+ cpu). Put the 100 in the bank and save for something worthwhile.

I would think the gpu would be the bottle nack, bank the bucks for a major upgrade further down the line for 1080 gaming.

I just noticed the OP saod 4-6 years and still gaming on this PC? Yikes... thats going to be painful no matter how many threads you have.

Id imagine many games wouldnt even run in a couple years. I couldnt imagine gaming today on a Athlon 64 x2 (~10 y.o+ cpu). Put the 100 in the bank and save for something worthwhile.

OP said
ok so right now i have a computer HP Z400 LGA1366 with a xeon w3565
so, not the Athlon.

And
current specs
w3565,16 gigs ddr3 ram,sapphire platinum RX470 4GB
so no 4890, either.

Thanks, but, i was referring to what gaming would be like on a 10 y.o+ processor.
....(~10 y.o+ cpu)

Who mentioned a 4890???

What the heck did you just do? :rofl:

Edit: i see, her outdated signature has it, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, id love to see how that works out gaming on a 10 year old or more processor...talk about glass ceiling..a cpu like that will hold back a monkey with crayons drawing frames by hand. ;)

I am gaming on the sckt 1366 with a 6 core Xeon and 2x 980Ti's. I don't have any problem at all. I can't say that I'm playing Battlefield 1 or anything but my solitaire runs great. :rofl: I play a lot of Total War and some other slightly older FPS but I really don't see any issue with the older CPU at this time or the near future.

Nehalem places a glass ceiling on many cards and REAL games at 1080p. Id cry playing on a c2D or c2q or a64 x2 right now as it nueters frames.

considering a CPU upgrade need help

ok so right now i have an HP Z400 with a xeon w3565 at stock speeds 16 gigs of ram and an RX470. i have the chance to upgrade from the 4 core 3565 to a 6 core W3690 with an unlocked multiplier, which would allow me to overclock the W3690 using the intel extreme desktop utility to overclock to around 4GHz. to cool said cpu's i use an HP made AIO liquid cooler closed loop.

i guess im wondering will i see any gaming performance increase if i switch from the 3565 3.2GHz to the 3690 3.4GHz stock or 3690 4.0GHZ overclock i game at 1080p

for those who may ask i can get the new cpu for between 75-100$ even

im on disability so buying a new pc isnt an option for me

Deja Vu... touched on this in your other thread....so i merged them... this is all the same thing.

I dont think you really have an upgrade unless you get an overclockable quad. And even then. It isnt worth it... save your cash for something significant whwn you can afford it.

Why not try overclocking what you have, sir? It can be done increasing baseclock and dialing back ram+other multipliers to keep everything else happy?

My friend uses Intel tuning utility to overclock his AIO pc. Even overclocked his integrated graphics processor. Give her a try, perhaps it may be the ticket :)

My friend uses Intel tuning utility to overclock his AIO pc. Even overclocked his integrated graphics processor. Give her a try, perhaps it may be the ticket :)

any chance u can ask your friend what he has to do so that every time he powers on his pc and boots his os intel xtu pops up and enables the over clock

I dont think XTU has profiles? So its a manual setting.

What motherboard?

Update specs or list the parts you are dealing with. ;)

Back