• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would this be worth the upgrade performance wise???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok so right now i have an HP Z400 with a xeon w3565 at stock speeds 16 gigs of ram and an RX470. i have the chance to upgrade from the 4 core 3565 to a 6 core W3690 with an unlocked multiplier, which would allow me to overclock the W3690 using the intel extreme desktop utility to overclock to around 4GHz. to cool said cpu's i use an HP made AIO liquid cooler closed loop.

i guess im wondering will i see any gaming performance increase if i switch from the 3565 3.2GHz to the 3690 3.4GHz stock or 3690 4.0GHZ overclock i game at 1080p

for those who may ask i can get the new cpu for between 75-100$ even

im on disability so buying a new pc isnt an option for me

4 - 6 core with HT = 8 - 12 core count.

I'm not surprised that you can't overclock with the HP board. A lot of OEMs restrict just that.

You will not see a difference in gaming or if you do, it will not be worth the $110 current best price on eBay. Most games will operate on a single core and the difference between 3.2 and 3.4 is not enough to make the change. If a game operates on two cores or even 4 cores, I still don't see that you will notice a difference. Benchmarks would see a difference but your games will feel the same.

I know this is a month or so old, but I have the same Z400. Put a W3680 in it and I overclock it to 4,133 MHz with ThrottleStop 8.5. If I go higher than 31x multiplier the machine shuts off when stressed. I have a better power supply but I am waiting on the ATX power extention which I will modify for ATX to HP since the pinout is a bit different. Once that is done I will try to overclock past 31x multiplier.

This motherboard CAN be overclocked with ThrottleStop. I updated to the latest BIOS after I got the system. I was not able to overclock it with TS. So I went aback to HP site and got the second to the newest BIOS and now I am able to adjust the multiplier with ThrottleStop. It's Glorious!

Edit: ThrottleStop 8.5 works on either the latest or second to latest BIOS. I promise I wasn't drunk when I posted that. :D

Last edited:
just do it. you sound like your wanting an unlocked multi more than anything? youll have that and you will only be a bill poorer. report back so we can see what type of fps increase you get out of the upgrade. personally i would save that $100 over the next few months and get a better gpu.

just do it. you sound like your wanting an unlocked multi more than anything? youll have that and you will only be a bill poorer. report back so we can see what type of fps increase you get out of the upgrade. personally i would save that $100 over the next few months and get a better gpu.
my rx 470 plays well with my hex core cpu for 1080p as for fps i went from 70 constant in doom and the witcher 3 to 130 as for call of duty WW2 i get 75-80 constant on high

welp again, it sounds like your wanting that unlocked multi...if it isnt going to break the bank then pull the trigger!

Back