• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

So i have an current build that is still in progress of building and i need you guy's recommendations opinions of power supplies i should get. What i currently have is:
2 SLI MSI GTX 660
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
Toshiba 1tb HDD
120GB Corsair SSD
Asrock 970 Extreme 4
And that is kind of it that i have so far.
What recommendations do you guys suggest?? Thanks.

600W should be enough, except for extreme overclocking. I'd agree with psyko, go at least 650W to ensure you have headroom. Compare some prices, and something around 650-700W should fit you.
Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, bequiet good brands to rely on.

Alright thanks guys I was looking around that area too since I went to go look at the actual wattage usage. But what I was thinking was around 650 watts to 750 watts but thanks guys!

660s are 140w each. Add 180 for an overclocked ph2 and 50 for misc and you're at a whopping 510w tops.
600-760 is fine. Get quality though.

I reviewed it here: http://www.funkykit.com/component/c...oling-silencer-mark-iii-750w-80-gold-psu.html

If you really lean on PhIIs you can get them pretty high up there wattage wise, but it takes some doing.
Usually people list the full system wattage, as measuring what the CPU alone uses takes some specialized equipment.
If the full system is being tested you have to hack off some wattage for PSU inefficiency first, then some more for the motherboard/storage/GPU, then you're finally down to the CPU itself.

Ooohh Thanks Aj, the reason i picked the Mark III was because the color matched my case, black and white. Thanks bobnova, ill take a look at that too.

Hey guys, I have a similar Question. I am building a HTPC and was wondering what kind of PSU you guys would recommend. As far as specs, the case is going to be a Thermal take Lanbox Lite that got last year and it has been sitting in my closet for ever. I also will be using the Coolermaster Gemin II heatsink since it is low profile and i test fitted the heatsink already, I did have to take off the fan and get a low profile fan, but other then that, the unit fits. Here is a quick list that I have compiled of what i will have inside that case, tell me what you guys think! n48wea.jpg

Last edited:
For a HTPC where you most likely won't OC and you have no dedicated GPU 500W is way too much.
The CPU has a max TDP of 100 Watt. Adding like 100W for extra harddrives and the other components, 300W should serve you fine.

This seems pretty good, 80+ Gold for efficiency, check the reviews, it's recommended for small builds.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151114

Only thing wrong with that PSU that you recommended, the case I am using has room for full size ATX PSU, not the Micro. Well another reason I went with this PSU is because of the size, its the smallest one i have seen, not counting the Micro style ones

I also do have a spare antec basiq 350w, that one should work, but i was looking for modular style PSU

Back