• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recovering from a 480 bad BIOS flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiwibg

Hey guys.
Last night I was pretty out of it, I updated my graphics drivers and I went to the Gigabyte support page in order to check if there was a new BIOS update (the card has been bugging me since i got it - around 6 months ago - with random crashes).
I opened up the g1 480 page and saw that there was indeed an F8 BIOS version and I knew mine was on F5 so I downloaded it without much thinking and ran the exe. I clicked restart and realized I was an idiot, since I just ran a BIOS update for the 8gb edition and mine was 4gb.
Immediately upon restart I started getting issues - my splashscreen and rEFInd were both in a weird split screen mode, and soon after, just after booting windows up it went black.
I unpacked my neatly packed rig, moved the 480 into the second slot, fitted my sisters 950 into the main one, booted windows, atiflashed the F5 version of the bios (the latest from the G site for my card) onto the card and swapped it back.
Everything seems normal now (the performance and the thermals have been ok, GPU-z sees the card, model number, ram as 4gb and the bios version) except the XTREME engine shows UNKNOWN next to the BIOS version.

Should I be worried about this and could I have caused some permanent damage?

Back