• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Red CPU LED on Asus ROG Crosshair IV Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CHUDmac

Registered
Right now, I have a Thermaltake Armor+ Case. Inside, I have a Corsair AX850 PSU powering an Asus ROG Crosshair IV Extreme Mobo with an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T CPU, Cooler Master V6GT CPU Cooler, 16GB (4 x 4GB) Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600, and an EVGA GTX 570HD. I have a Thermaltake 230mm Fan (x1) and Aerocool 140mm Devil Red Edition Fans (x2) for air intake, 140mm Aerocool Evil Black Edition Fan (x1) for HDD cooling, and an Aerocool 120mm Devil Red Edition Fans (x1) for exhaust.

Being my first time, I wired everything up (as best as I could figure out) and turned on the system. To my excitement, the fan LEDs came on and were blowing air, my 2 5.25" drives were on along with my NZXT Sentry LX 5-Fan Controller, the motherboard lit up and everything seemed great... but then I saw the CPU Q-LED glowing red located by the 24-pin EATXPWR connector.

I don't know if I wired something wrong, or if one of the components was DOA when I received it.

I have the 24-Pin power connected from my PSU to my motherboard, as well as the 8-Pin EATX 12V connection. I also connected the two 4-Pin EZ-Plugs (Molex connections) from the PSU to the motherboard because the manual said to connect them to ensure sufficient power for running multiple graphics cards (even though I am only running one video card, I tried it without first and then with the Molex connected). I can't find anything in the manual to let me know where to start troubleshooting this issue.

I didn't know if it was not receiving enough power, which is why I connected the 2 Molex EZ-Plugs after trying it without them connected. I don't know why the light is on or how to get the machine working. The Cooler Master V6GT CPU cooler fans aren't spinning, but the LED "dipstick" in front lights up. It's plugged in to the motherboard's CPU 4-pin fan connection and the Molex is connected, so I am pretty sure it has power. I don't know if it's the motherboard (which seems to be working in every other aspect) or the CPU itself. Please help before I pay someone else to install and wire this, I really would love to do this myself but I didn't think it would take this much time, which I have very little of being enrolled in 3 simultaneous degrees.

I tried removing all of the RAM and installing just one stick, but the red CPU LED is still on.

Can anyone help?

Take the motherboard out and check very carefully to see that the brass standoffs aren't misplaced and thereby grounding out against the underside of the motherboard. Also check the CPU and make sure it doesn't have any bent pins.

Thanks, I'll check when I get home from work. I'm sure the motherboard standoffs are good; I placed them according to the diagram in the manual and lined them up with the marks on the motherboard tray, but I'll double check my work in a couple of hours.

The RED Led on CPU means that it can not launch the CPU, probably DOA or short the V6GT is definately not on, as the MOBO does not launch the CPU fans until CPU launches to give it max power.
I have almost Identical set up:
RV01-W Case
Crosshair IV Extreme
AMD Athlon II X3 460 (looking for an 1100T too)
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz Blue
V6GT Cooler
HyperX Ram Fan
3other fans

Raid 1 500GB x2 HDD

Mine works fine, maybe PSU, CPU or MOBO, u tried using the MEMOK button it refreshes it's cache of all preloaded settings trying to config itself to your set up...

Thank you for all the feedback.

@t3chguy - I don't think the CPU is DOA. It worked before, as I have loaded Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on the SSD. Sometimes it will work after it has been sitting off for a while, but when I have to go through the BIOS screen to set up my boot order and press F10 to save and exit, most of the time the motherboard does not make it through the Q-LED test.

I have not tried the MEMOK button. When should I press that button?

Thank you for all the feedback.

@t3chguy - I don't think the CPU is DOA. It worked before, as I have loaded Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on the SSD. Sometimes it will work after it has been sitting off for a while, but when I have to go through the BIOS screen to set up my boot order and press F10 to save and exit, most of the time the motherboard does not make it through the Q-LED test.

I have not tried the MEMOK button. When should I press that button?

That's quite a weird situation, maybe the Socket or CPU has a loose pin or something, or maybe some cracked solder, have you switched to your backup BIOS, using the switch right next to your Asus Front Panel Q Connector. I have not had this error mine just has each one solid for 1-5seconds, the boot one stays for 15-25 that's just cos it's booting raid, just try to unplug everything, then plug in all power, no hdds or ssds no dvds just power and gpu, cpu and memory all of it, MEMOK should be pressed/held straight after pressing the power button, try launch is with no hdds and ssds, maybe the best way would be update bios cos that might sort out it's problems, I read that the first BIOS that you get with it doesn't support the 1100T, it does say that 0203 BIOS does support it but I'd update to 3027 for perfect compatibility;
Personally I'd get a laptop or PC and wire it into iRog the different USB port next to your Bluetooth Module, when you install it on a seperate PC it can diagnose what your problem with your CPU is, using RC POSTER, you can also do this on an Android, Windows, or Sybelius phone, or an iPhone, iPod and iPad. for instructions question me, I have tried with 4 of these (Android, Iphone, Ipad and Ipod... all just went through the cycle for me but for you would stop and say for example that the CPU would not launch and that would narrow down your problem slightly...

Back