• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Red CPU Q_LED on Asus Maximus III Formula mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbman99

I just got home from vacation with absolutely no one using it (the computer) for two weeks except for my mom who used it once and then turned it off. I just turned on the computer with no response from my monitors such as them not turning on or anything. I look at the mobo and the CPU Q_LED light is solid red. I can't get my mobo to go into the BIOS or anything. I don't know what's wrong, but any help is appreciated!
BTW my cpu fan spins up and everything, but other than that I don't know what could possibly be wrong. Thanks!

I would still double check all connections especially to your GPU(s). You may also want to clear the bios to default and see if that helps things, if not pull the battery too.

Okay, but for the BIOS, I can't even get into them. I reseated the RAM, I'm about to redo the connections on the GPU, but how can I get into the BIOS? It just doesn't let me in for some reason...

I reseated the battery as well and still nothing. I can't get it to go into BIOS.

Anyone that can help? Is it quite possible that I just need a totally new CPU/Mobo?

At that point I would disassymble everythign for a close inspection, and before that if I had access to another PC try using the PSU in that, or this

Okay so I got up today and its still happening even though I really didn't expect it to fix itself overnight. Should I maybe go to Bestbuy and buy a 500W PSU and just plug it into the wall and the CPU power socket only that way I don't have to unplug all my other power cords? Basically go buy one for cheap, test it out in ONLY the CPU power slot while the other one is still powering everything else or will that not work?

Okay I took apart everything on the board. I have yet to put it back together because I may have found the culprit, but I wana see what you all think. I couldn't get the board out of the case because my screw driver was too large to get some of the screws so
I just removed all the cables one EVERYTHING and then took off the CPU fan and heatsink as well as the CPU itself. When I took it out of the socket I noticed that there is one little piece that shines at different angles than the rest of the other pins on the socket. Is it possible that this has could cause the issue?

Here is the picture -
If you can tell from the image alone it seems that the pin may be slightly bent, but the thing is, why would it all of a sudden stop working? That's why I am confused. Any help is appreciated!

It may/may not be the culprit. Can you straighten the bent pin to be like all the others? Maybe after it's straightened out put the cpu back in along with 1 stick of ram and vid card. See if it'll boot up. If it doesn't and you still get the red LED, then it's something else.

Should I just put in the CPU without the heatsink and fan just to test it quickly?

No! Put the heatsink back on with the fan. It needs to cycle through the bios. Without the heatsink you'll fry the chip.

Yeah I was like 100% sure I needed those on. The thing about the bent pin is that I cant really see why it looks the way it does. It sort of stands out when I first look at it, but when I get really close I can barely see anything wrong. I feel like if I tried to even unbend it if it even is bent, I would mess it up even more.

Okay I just tried unbending the pin. I can easily move the pin I need to and it seems it is slightly out of place. From the picture taken, the side that it is on the pins are all facing up like they come from the bottom and are bent at an angle facing up. This one is just slightly bent to the right and it doesn't seem to want to move back into place.

Update- went to best buy and got myself a 520W Psu, some new thermal compound and some other stuff to clean up. Gona go ahead and put in the cpu and test just with the RAM and gpu

EDIT:
Took it all apart and put it back together again. I reapplied some Antec Formula 7 I got from Best Buy and installed 1 stick of RAM and my GPU. The old PSU booted it up, but still got the Red Q_LED for the CPU. I then took every cable from the PSU off of my computer and put the NEW one I got from Best Buy. I hooked it all up and still received the Red CPU Q_LED. Any other diagnostics I could do or should I just consider a new mobo/CPU since I was planning on getting new stuff anyways.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back