• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

refresh / reinstall / reset win 10 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

my power flashed the other day and now I got that endless loop when I boot up, I can log into safe mode but can't seem to get it fixed, my question is if I refresh/reset or whatever the correct term is can I choose a dif hd for the install? I got a new SSD just about a week ago and would like to install on it and not erase the current drive right this min.... I got the option but don't want to do it if I have to erase everything as if I cant, how do I go about reinstalling win 10 on my new drive when I upgraded for free so don't have a copy of it? I know the ease of access can still be gotten but if possible didn't want to go that route if ya know what I mean.

Detach the old drive and all others so you dont have to mess with a boot loader and install windows on the new ssd.

Once Windows 10 has been activated on a machine it is registered with Microsoft as belonging to that machine. You can reinstall it from scratch at any point and not have to purchase a new activation key. Just build your own USB flash drive installer from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Choose the second option, "Download Tool Now". Find the .exe file in downloads and move it to the flash drive (need one 16gb or larger). Then launch the Tool from the flash drive.

Make sure you disconnect the old drive from the machine before doing the fresh install on the new SSD.

I would download and try EasyBCD first. I've had pretty good results repairing boot files with it. Good enough to wish I'd known about it when I tried to OC ONY RAM and borked my boot folder so badly I had to reinstall.

thanks, guys, got it installed on the new drive.... hate reinstalling everything but I didn't lose anything so guess mission complete.

Back