• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote desktop over the internet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

OK wheres some guides on setting up a remote desktop over TCP/IP. I know how to use it over the lan but what do I do to access it from the internet? Will Ultr@VNC work for that? How about RemotelyAnywhere stuff? Thx

You will need to port forward the appropriate ports over to the box that you want to connect to. Check google for the ports, unless someone knows them, i am pretty tired right now and cant think, lol. UltraVNC should work, and i dont know about the other program. I have used remote desktop that is built into 2k server, as well as tightvnc. Best thing to do is tunnel the traffic through something like openssh or openvpn.

TCP port 3389 for terminal services
TCP port 5900 (by default) for VNC.. 5800 is the java webserver port

WOW I haven't heard that since the release of "Tranceport" back in 96 or somthin.

"Embracing the goddess energy within yourselves will bring all of you to a new understanding and valuing of life; a vision that inspires you to live and love on planet earth..."

like a priceless jewel buried in dark layers of soil and stone, earth radiates her brilliant beauty into the caverns of space and time. Perhaps you are aware of those who watch over your home and experience it as a place to visit and play with reality. You are becoming aware of yourself.....as a GAMEMASTER!!!!!!!!!

Oops I almost forgot, I am setting up somthing similar right now as well. I have not figured out which way I'm going to go, but I was thinking of using Citrix or just trying to port forward like you mentioned. I am using IPCop and there is a way to set up VPN too. You might check out IP Cop, which is a free Linux distro if you have an old box that you can spare.

ElroyCarbon said:
WOW I haven't heard that since the release of "Tranceport" back in 96 or somthin.

"Embracing the goddess energy within yourselves will bring all of you to a new understanding and valuing of life; a vision that inspires you to live and love on planet earth..."

like a priceless jewel buried in dark layers of soil and stone, earth radiates her brilliant beauty into the caverns of space and time. Perhaps you are aware of those who watch over your home and experience it as a place to visit and play with reality. You are becoming aware of yourself.....as a GAMEMASTER!!!!!!!!!

What in the 9 hells are you talking about?

LOL I thought you might say that. With regards to the quote I am discussing AMDphreak's sig. That is from an old school trance track, I think lost tribes was the group, but Oakenfold remixed on his "Tranceport" ablbum. It was off the subject, as I read the posts I ran across it and was like where the hell did I hear that before. I scanned through my MP3's and finished it for him....LOL. Anyhow my second post was related to the subject, sorry for the threadjacking. CYA!

Back