• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing old thermal paste with these products.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The nail polish remover that i found around the house says 100% acetone, but is still leaves a bit of white residue. Then the rubbing alcohol does its magic!

Nail polish remover, regardless of claims on the label, is 60% Acetone. The "100% Acetone" advertisement is likely a prompt to the consumer that the product is free of Methyl Acetate, which is toxic and is under investigation by the EU for their banned materials list from consumer goods. I can just about guarantee that your nail polish remover also contains dyes, stabilizers and oils.

Only PURE Acetone, available in hardware stores is 100% Acetone. Nail Polish remover is NOT, I repeat NOT, PURE Acetone.

I was short on rubbing alcohol so I used cheap vodka, the cheaper the better. The stuff I used I could run my car with if I needed to lol

99% pure rubbig, sorry, (hayfever, sniff), rubbing alcohol. Fact is I just finished a rebuild and took special care of the cpu/hsf. I had lapped and polished my 1055t and Zalman Performa hsf. This time I noticed some slight imperfections on the hsf so polished both again with crocus cloth, cleaned with alcohol and buffed with organic coffee filter, then applied MX-4 using the line method. So far, so good, temps at 30c and 28c @3.64Ghz.

Say, @poppedkernel, you any relation to optytrooper?

I use alcohol because it works and I use it for many things ;-). Acetone would be one more chemical in the house. Don't need more chemicals. Except acetone for DICE, then need it anyway. I worked in a chemical plant in Louisiana. Bathed in chemicals, drank the chemicles, ate the kemiculs. c, i kun rit gud.

BD alcohol wipes work pretty well. They don't have much other than alcohol on them, so they don't leave anything behind. It takes five or six to clean off a CPU and HS though.

Back