• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repairing RAID 0 array?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1mex

My old board (DFI Ultra Infinity NF2) died a while back, and I had 2 Raptors in RAID 0 (something I'm not likely to do again.) Both of the disks are fine, however, I'm not sure how to recover the array. There is no repair array option from the BIOS, and I don't want to test my luck with using the VIA RAID tool before I know if its going to be useful. The VIA RAID Tool gives me the option to create a RAID 0 array, but I want to make sure this is not going to destroy the data, because I really want to recover what is on those drives.

If you install them on the same type of controller, they should automatically be detected as the original Raid 0. If changing controllers, then it is hit or miss. Either it works and sees the array, or it doesnt. If it doesnt, the only way to recover your data is to use the same controller as it was originally set up on (and that may or may not work also).

crap... the NFII Infinity was Sil3114. Anyone got a socket A board with that controller they no longer need? lol

Yeah I have one of them. If it functioned properly in 32bit/66mhz mode, I'd be using it. Instead I have the 2 port version now. Man I need the extra 2 ports... Anyhow, they can be had for >$20 shipped off Ebay, slightly more at the 'Egg.

I just went ahead and ordered one from newegg, since I had also been looking at getting a 512mb SD card from there as well. Thanks for the advice

timex can you post if getting the pci card with the same chip works? also, i was given a freeware program called "raid reconstructor". would this work if you didn't have the same raid chip?

Beginner said:
timex can you post if getting the pci card with the same chip works? also, i was given a freeware program called "raid reconstructor". would this work if you didn't have the same raid chip?
I actually looking into something similar, and it found the RAID array correctly. I was not going to pay $100+ for the program I found though. However, when I get the card, I will post with results here.

t1mex said:
I actually looking into something similar, and it found the RAID array correctly. I was not going to pay $100+ for the program I found though. However, when I get the card, I will post with results here.

sweet! interested in this as well

I just searched again on google, and RAID Reconstructor is the program I used that found my RAID array. However, it only finds the array and maps out what size sectors are in that array in the free version, it does not let you reconstruct the array, and when it does (in the $100 version) you then have to purchase another of the companies programs to then read the file it creates (it takes all data from the Array and saves it in a file.) The second program, called GetDataBack, costs $69. So its an expensive proposition, definitely a last resort for someone other than a company.

Lol screw that.. $169 to try and rebuild a RAID array.. and how often is it NOT the HDD's fault when a RAID fails? obviously except this time when it was the mobo :p.. so hows the rebuilding going?

Careface*

Got the card today, going to try it in a little while. I will post results (crossing fingers :D)

I put in the card, hooked up the drives, and booted up, and saw them come up, and it found the array instantly. I was so happy..... but now Windows is not seeing them, any suggestions? I loaded the drivers, and it shows the "drive" in Device Manager, but no hard drives are showing other than C:

Tried that, and no change. I'm beginning to think that something has gone wrong with the data on the drives. I made it so the array is the only thing the BIOS looks for to boot into, and it failed to find a boot record. Any final ideas before these drives get formatted?

Looks like the data is already lost. The space is unalocated, meaning that there is no record of the data/partitions that are there.

aeiou said:
Looks like the data is already lost. The space is unalocated, meaning that there is no record of the data/partitions that are there.
The thing thats confusing me is that the BIOS sees that there is already an array in place, as does windows. It just doesn't know what to do with the drive. :shrug:

Back