• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

replace mbo ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

Hi all

I have a open box mbo Asus P9X79 Pro coming on my way. It is possible to swap out my current mbo to the one is coming on my way? it is the same board. will I encounter any Windows licensing problem? (Windows 7 Professional) Your input is much appreciated.

You shouldn't, but even if you do it's just a matter of calling MS support for reactivation.

Last edited:
I have swapped my Mobo and CPU quite a few times, just did the Phone Verification and all is well! I still use the same OS for all the new set ups here, so any problems just come back to us!

Good luck on the swap!

AJ.

hi huys.

I finally got around to swap out the mbo and new 1300w psu and 2 pwm booster bought from Bobnova on this forum. Now I am having a problem that the PC won't start. I double checked all connection and it seems to look fine. I make a quick video. See what do you think is wrong here. Any help is much appreciated

Do you think you have the same problem again with the start button??

To check that you can short the 2 pins out with a screwdriver to make the Mobo fire up, but be very careful and make sure via you HBook that you have the correct pins first!! ;)

The other is when the Mobo is light up did you see any LED's Stuck on at all??:shrug:

Was there any Q Codes to help us pin point to the problem area??:shrug:

Last but, not the least i hope its not Bent Pins in the CPU Socket as that can be something like this as well! :eh?:

Good Luck i hope you find it Bruce! :salute:

AJ.

Do you think you have the same problem again with the start button??

To check that you can short the 2 pins out with a screwdriver to make the Mobo fire up, but be very careful and make sure via you HBook that you have the correct pins first!! ;)

The other is when the Mobo is light up did you see any LED's Stuck on at all??:shrug:

Was there any Q Codes to help us pin point to the problem area??:shrug:

Last but, not the least i hope its not Bent Pins in the CPU Socket as that can be something like this as well! :eh?:

Good Luck i hope you find it Bruce! :salute:

AJ.

AJ,

Thanks for your input. I appreciated.

When I press the start button, the led on the mbo light up and then gone way. As you can see on the video. There is no code because its never got around to post. There is no bent pins that I can see of. I did inspect the board prior the install of the cpu. I did not have any time to do anything with it today. maybe next weekend, I am going to try to put back the 950w psu and if its will start. If it does the same thing. Then, I am gonna remove the board and put my old board back on. It should start because it was working fine prior the tear down. All I need is times times.......

Well Bruce when you do find the time please come back to me and kindly let me know what the result was good luck!

AJ.

Here is some update and still not good.

I decide to put my original MBO back on and new EVA 1300w psu. I press the start button, I got nothing. So, I remove that psu and put back my old 950w psu. I press the start button and the fans all up running BUT the PC won't post. I don't hear a beep when you normally would hear it at first start. WTF is going on? I clear the cmos and still the same. I tried to the press the Delete key to enter the bios, but nothing happen. No post , can't enter the bios.

more update.

There are good news and bad news. Prior to the mbo swap, my system was working perfectly fine. After the tear down, I put in the a new open box mbo that I bought and that mbo is dead on arrival because it was not post ater the installed. I had to returned that mbo to the seller. I then put back my old mbo and it would not post either. I don't know what had happened, all the certain the mbo is dead as well. I got a another brand spanky new mbo and I installed and everything is now working and I am able to enter onto the bios. This mbo was already updated bios version 4502 which is for Ivy Bridge 4930K/4960X) CPU and my Sandy Bridge CPU is not compatible to the newst bios 4502. I tried to flash it back to bios version 2104 (P9X79.rom file) but it would not update. It say image outdate and it won't proceed. How can I go back 2104??? It has to be a way to do this. any help is appreciated.

Hi Bruce,

Boy have you had a rough time of it lately!!!!

Yeah let me know when you have the 4930K and then we can go through some settings together on here. I hope you end up with a decent CPU as those are hit and miss etc.

Best regards,

AJ.

Hi Bruce,

Boy have you had a rough time of it lately!!!!

Yeah let me know when you have the 4930K and then we can go through some settings together on here. I hope you end up with a decent CPU as those are hit and miss etc.

Best regards,

AJ.

Thanks AJay.

Yes this was a costly swap ever because I don't know what had happened that caused the dead of my original mbo. It was only a yrs old. My new CPU is coming on Wednesday and most likely I will have it install on Sat and get everything up running. As you know it, I am going to push this cpu to it maximun performance as well. Whether I am able to do it or not, truth will be known. Man, I really missed using my 3930k whick has been down almost a month now. But soon I will be back to use the awesome PC again.

Like i said before Bruce its very hit and miss with the 4930K some will only go to 4.5 to 4.6 max. Others will do 4.7 or 4.8 if you are lucky my good friend, so we will keep the old fingers crossed here for you anyway!!

AJ.

Got it up running today. As it stands, it is at 4.5ghz @1.286 for now. As I have more times in my hands, I am gonna try higher frequency, see how far I can get. This chip run much lower voltage and much cooler than the 3930k.

Sounds pretty good @ 4.5 @ 1.286v i would hold fire and try to dial it in at that, before jumping off higher. At least get it to the max then save it in the Bios Profiles as your base Freq and everyday set up Bruce!!

Then once you have that solidly done then shoot for the Moon lol!!

Regards,

AJ.

Yup. That was exactly how I did with my 3930K. I had stable saved profile from 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and of course the big one 5.0Ghz :) I am shooting for 4.8ghz for 24/7 and 5.0ghz for the special ocassion :) But the question is, I don't know I can get there or not. I don't know until I try higher frequency. But this will happen later on as I find the times to try it.

Just a word to the wise, what i have read and seen else where is if you gently run in a Virgin CPU at first!! You can achieve better and higher OC's later on, but that is up to you Bruce. If not it seems over a small time frame it gets even harder to get back to where you was before and tend to use more and more Vcore!!

If you need any help with the settings in the bios just post here or shoot me a PM!!

Regards,

AJ.

Back