• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

replacement laptop motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TempliNocturnus

I'm looking to replace or upgrade my laptops motherboard. Any advice on what the various form factors or standards (if any) for laptop boards? And if there are such standards, does anyone know of any online retailers?

I have a laptop from iBuyPower, that is just under a year and a half old. Warranty is expired. The problem with it is the USB ports stop functioning after the thing heats up a bit. I believe I fragged it awhile back when I ran Oblivion on it for several hours. Now, if I were to run any program to make it heat up, or if it has been on for ~20 minutes or so, the USB mouse will fail and windows will prompt malfunctioning hardware for every USB device I plug into it.

Is this a P-4 based laptop? If so I would check to make sure your fans and heatsyncs are all cleaned out (can o compressed air and a straw).

If you've never re-installed the os, I would try that as well, the registry can get pretty hairy if you don't take care of it after a year or so...

you can usually find replacement motherboards through ebay or through the laptop manufacturer.

ozzlo said:
Is this a P-4 based laptop? If so I would check to make sure your fans and heatsyncs are all cleaned out (can o compressed air and a straw).

If you've never re-installed the os, I would try that as well, the registry can get pretty hairy if you don't take care of it after a year or so...

you can usually find replacement motherboards through ebay or through the laptop manufacturer.

No, it's an A64 (3200 I think). I only really used it for ~3 months until I had that problem. The first thing I did after I got it was format and install my special copy of windows XP Pro. I took the thing apart several times (but not to the extent to where I would have to break the warranty sticker, until now) and found no dust build ups or anything, after only using it for 3 months to my surprise :eek:

Ever since the end of those three months after I first got it, I haven't really used it much at all. I attempted to RMA it, telling them the legit problem and how to recreate it, but they said the couldn't find anything wrong. I never got around to ESDing the board and RMAing it afterwards (Which I will do for every piece of hardware I RMA from now on). I seriously doubt its a software problem, as I have ran many tests on it to see that the problem is directly related to heat. It would start screwing up much faster when I run superPI as opposed to letting it run idle.

Maybe if I'm bored one day, I'll format it just for the heck of it. If that does solve the problem, then you're the man! Heck, maybe I'll just sell the thing in the classifieds. $1200 for 3 months of playing BF2 in Billoxi, MI post Katrina, what a deal :p

Do a clean reinstall and get a new bios "if I remember right the USB problem was well documented on the uniwill site"

the laptop is junk i know you dont want to hear it but i have the same one.
go to the forums and youl see your not alone. Uniwill 258 Kao it was sold under a lot of names.

http://www.uniwill.com/forums/

your not alone in the problems with the uniwill based laptops mine lasted 6 months and so did a lot of others.

basically we paid $1300 to $1700 to play games on a laptop for 3 to 6 months and then it dies.

im getting a Dell next time lol

Last edited:
Back