• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing the cooler on a 6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

Summer is coming, and the stock cooler on my Radeon 6950 hates me personally for making me do stuff while it's hot. My patience is running thin for the noise it's producing, so I'm looking at a few options for replacing it. I've had good experiences with Arctic in the past, so I'm mainly looking at their stuff, but I'm open to suggestions. Here are the contenders:

Accelero Twin Turbo II
Accelero Mono Plus
Accelero Xtreme 7970
Accelero Xtreme III (This one is flying through space! It's clearly the best one. :D)

My major concerns are noise, followed very closely by performance, with cost coming in a very distant third. However, I'm not willing to pay double for a 1C difference. It's a single video card setup. There are three slots free between the video card and the sound card (currently two, since the stock cooler takes up one).

I've also heard good things about GELID, but I'm not familiar with them. Thoughts?

I own an Accelero Xtreme III I can't say what the difference in temps will be against any of the others but I can say this. On my 5850 it dropped the temps 20c and it is nearly in audible even with the fans at 100%. The only down side is that it is really long, about 3 inches longer then the pcb.

A friend of mine got the accelero extreme III for his 7770 and it dropped temps close to 20c under load and is much quieter then the stock hsf, so far he loves it, and I plan on getting for when I get my 7870...

Back