• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing TIM - How often?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaNsA

I've had my rig running 24/7 for almost a year now.
The CPU cooler has IC Diamond on it, the GFX card hasnt been stripped.

Should i think about replacing the TIM on the CPU cooler (Antec H20 920) and the GFX card (GTX560 Ti) or would it be best left alone?

Ta :thup:

From what I heard IC Diamond kinda loses a little efficiency after about a year but unless your having problems I wouldn't bother with it. I recently re did my laptop with it and shaved about 10c off my temps but that's in a laptop with botched thermal paste to begin with lol. If your lucky you will see a few c diffrence.

Nice one for the speedy response :D

I too have replaced the stock TIM on both laptops in the house, the missus didnt really care that i sorted hers :rolleyes: , but i noticed a pretty decent drop in temps on mine.

One thing I have noticed on my rig is that one core is always a couple of degs higher then the other 3 and it keeps me awake at night.
cores 0,3,4 will sit at @54c whereas core 1 will sit at 56/57c under small data set OCCT tests.

Would that be reason enough to redo the TIM on the cpu or am i just bored and looking for something to fiddle with?

I just popped the HS off a CPU after 1 year of 24/7. TIM was still viscous (AS5), no problem removing it and cleaning up the block (paper towels and Volz, an electrical friendly degreaser). If you're bored I've got a lengthy honey-do list........

Would that be reason enough to redo the TIM on the cpu or am i just bored and looking for something to fiddle with?

Your just bored and looking for something to fiddle with:cool:

It's normal to have cores vary. I really can't help with how often you should replace though as I don't think I've ever left my PC alone long enough to worry about it.

im running on 4+ years on my original TIM (AS5) and my temps are currently load @40c which i went and found some screenies from my original build and thats about max load temps then and i have been running it ruffly 24/7 since. In a few weeks i will be ordering the rest of the parts to finish my new build (mobo,cpu,HS,ram) and i could take off the HS and check the TIM and share results.

Replace it as often as you want to. ;)
For how long you need to... I have a 5 year old machine running as a home server. The silver paste has yet to give out. Since silver does not break down inside the µgrooves. That's the purpose of the AS5 paste. Which mates the two surfaces together. Transferring heat and expelling it.

If the CPU is overheating somehow. Then replace the TIM, otherwise it should be good for a long time.. If you tinker a lot and disturb the TIM seal. You're going to need a fresh layer.

experts will tell u for silver based TIM, every year for best performance.
for Aluminium or Diamond based, I suppose the time might differ.

I change mine about every 6 months when I tear down and flush my loop(s) normally because I have to take the cpu block off to drain it. This next tear down (month or so away) I'll be adding a drain port to my switch 810 case to facilitate easier draining. So no telling how long I'll let the tim stay on. This tear down will include block tear down and cleaning as well.

well given the tim, it may very.
it can be anywhere from 6mouths to a year 1/2. (on a high end system)
if your temps are OK. don't replace it .

I use liquid metal with my system. so I'm never going to need to reapply it for years.
nor do I want to, that stuff is nasty. but the temps are worth it.

Last edited:
Back