• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Requesting advice/help from an Electrician?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a FYI most appts I have worked in here come from main service pnl to a tap box than branch out to a stack of meter base's . Never seen a pass through system Like you were talking about .

Most apartments here follow a similar multi meter approach but I have worked at a few complexes that focused on short term furnished leases that had all utilities included. In this instance w occasionally ran into a setup where a would have lugs on the bottom and the top of the bus and the panels would be daisy chained to each other feeding into the bottom of the first floor apartment and then out of the top of the first floor into the bottom of the second floor and so forth. Never really limited these systems as you ended up killing a whole block of apartments if you needed to kill the mains as there was no individual shut off for each apartment.

Ok, so it took a few days for the issue to show itself. I immediately took out the DMM and did the white-green = 0 voltage, black-green = 0 voltage and white to black, normal 124.5v, can't remember exactly. It was close to 125v.

I'm curious. I have a ceiling fan with a receiver inside and a remote for it. The switch that operates it is a simple on/off switch. I leave the switch on at all times and operate the ceiling fan via remote. It has dimming function and different settings for the speed of the blades. The bulbs are LED's. I haven't done the proper troubleshooting for this yet but something tells me that when I play with the dimming function of the bulbs, it is during those times, shortly after that the issue presents itself with my UPS/PSU...I could ofc be just overthinking this but I thought I'd mention it in case some of you have experience.

Well, dimmers work by increasing resistance so I'm wondering if that could create some kind of feedback or noise in the system. Are there line filters for that sort of thing like they use for telephones when people have DSL internet?

Anything and just about everything electronic can and will cause some kind of noise somewhere. CF & LED lightbulbs & associated dimmers are prime examples.

Well, dimmers work by increasing resistance so I'm wondering if that could create some kind of feedback or noise in the system. Are there line filters for that sort of thing like they use for telephones when people have DSL internet?

A lot of new dimmers actually do not rely on resistance and instead reduce voltage with a triac dimmer that rapidly turns the circuit on and off thus reducing voltage. They are more efficient this way.

To that point if the leds in the fan are being dimmed and are not originally designed to be dimmed or are controlled by the wrong dimmer strange things can happen. I don't know if they would actually causethis particular issue but it should be easily tested.

The "dimmer" is inside the fan, the switch is a regular toggle on/off.

The building is cursed is my conclusion.

The "dimmer" is inside the fan, the switch is a regular toggle on/off.

The building is cursed is my conclusion.

Did the led lamps come with the fan or were they added later as replacement for incandescents?

Back