• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED [Research Purpose] Skylake/6 Gen CPU and PSU Compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

I have a question about "Skylake/6 Gen CPU and PSU Compatibility"
So, since "Haswell/4th Gen CPU" requires C6/C7 state, it needs PSU that support that feature.
It goes same for "Skylake/6 Gen CPU", right?
Can anyone tell me/recommend which PSU supports "Skylake/6 Gen CPU"?

Last edited:
All ATX standard PSUs manufactured in the last several years should support advanced power states and the various ACPI protocols. Those are not exactly new technologies. Skylake will work with the same PSUs that Haswell did.

Last edited:
All ATX standard PSUs manufactured in the last several years should support advanced power states and the various ACPI protocols. Those are not exactly new technologies. Skylark will work with the same PSUs that Haswell did.
Oh, ok.
Then what is Haswell compatible PSU?

Ha! Didn't know that. I haven't run into any problems with it personally with the Haswells and PSUs I have used. I would think most all the PSU manufacturers are on board with that now. And to be honest, I disable sleep and hibernation modes as a matter of course on my machines as they historically have been problematic.

There is a difference... actually...

http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list

Is it a big one? Nope. But as you can see, some psus may may trigger an undervoltage warning and reset. So though the processor states have been there for a while, haswell's is 10 fold lower and it can cause issues.
So, for Haswell and newer CPU, I better use PSU that supports those features, right?

Oh, EVGA isn't on the list.

I saw people recommend EVGA's PSU for building PC.

Last edited:
I haven't run into any problems with it personally with the Haswells and PSUs I have used. I would think most all the PSU manufacturers are on board with that now. And to be honest, I disable sleep and hibernation modes as a matter of course on my machines as they historically have been problematic.
Makes sense you didn't see it because you disable the states. It doesn't happen in all of them, and again, not a huge issue, but it is real.

Most/all newly released quality PSUs support it, absolutely.

Makes sense you didn't see it because you disable the states. It doesn't happen in all of them, and again, not a huge issue, but it is real.

Most/all newly released quality PSUs support it, absolutely.
Cool.

So, as long as I use PSU in the list, I'm fine with Skylake/6 Gen CPU, right?

Thanks for the info.

or newer, yes. If you list your components, we can size one and give you a choice or two. ;)

Cool.

So, as long as I use PSU in the list, I'm fine with Skylake/6 Gen CPU, right?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, but I promise you, EVGA will be compatible. EVGA power supplies are the most recommended brand on this forum and if there were problems with it we would have been hearing it from forum members.

Agreed. The EVGA G2's were released AFTER Haswell came out so they are haswell compatible. That link/article is old if you look at the date. ;)

Again, just give us budget, system specs, if you are ever going to use multiple GPUs, and we can pick one or two for you. Without knowing anything, Id grab EVGA G2 650W.

If I ever build new:
Case ----------- *
PSU ----------- * Corsair CX750 750 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply
CPU ----------- * Intel Core i3-6100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.70 GHz)
Motherboard ---- * Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI (H170)
RAM ----------- * Patriot Signature Line 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2400MHz Dual DIMM Kit (PSD48G2400KH)
VGA
HDD ----------- * WD Desktop Performance 1TB Hard Drive Retail Kit (WDBSLA0010HNC-NRSN)
ODD *
Sound/SP *
Monitor/TV *
Networking *
OS ----------- * Microsoft Windows 10 Home OS 64-bit OEM (KW9-00140) (1-Pack)

Above spec is the original spec of components that are selling in the retail store that I go to buy, before I asked here.

Last edited:
What will be the primary use or uses of the computer? If your budget were to permit it we would certainly make some suggestions for different components than what is in that list. Keep in mind, mass computer producers like HP and Dell make pretty, stylish computers on the outside but put the cheapest components possible on the inside so as to last the warranty period but not necessarily much more.

What will be the primary use or uses of the computer? If your budget were to permit it we would certainly make some suggestions for different components than what is in that list. Keep in mind, mass computer producers like HP and Dell make pretty, stylish computers on the outside but put the cheapest components possible on the inside so as to last the warranty period but not necessarily much more.
Light Game (Sims 3 & All EPs, Sims 4), web surfing, Office Programs for now.

Hope what you will suggest component/components are selling in retail store that I go to, since I don't buy anything from online, I have to buy what they sell in the retail store.

Last edited:
All new PSU from well known manufacturers should support low power states. On older PSU it can be situation that PC won't wake up from sleep when ultra low power mode is enabled ( so these high C states 6+ ). I had no issues with older PSUs but I'm not really using sleep/hibernation mode.
Any new Corsair should support it, including CX750.

Cx750 is 2x overkill. I'd rather you see if evga 500b is there than pay for that amount of wattage. You can't open er clock your cpu or memory, you are likely getting a 150W gpu. Truth be told you don't need 500W.

Like ED said, I would recommend changing the PSU to a lower watt but higher quality unit. It is a foundational component and you don't want to cheap on it. The Corsair CX series is serviceable but you can do better for approximately the same amount of money since you don't need nearly 750 watts.

Another recommendation I have is changing the 1TB spinner hard drive for a smaller SSD, at least if you don't need a lot of storage space. Truth be told, most people don't come close to using 1 TB of storage space. There are exceptions of course, particularly those who archive a lot of pictures and music. But an SSD will give your computer a performance shot in the arm in everyday computing like nothing else. The computer will boot and load programs in a fraction of the time it would when using a spinner hard drive. Look at changing that spinner hard drive for a 240-256gb SSD.

Finally, you have no video card listed. Will the games you list run acceptably on the processor's built-in GPU? I'm not a gamer so maybe some other forum members can chime in here.

Last edited:
Cx750 is 2x overkill. I'd rather you see if evga 500b is there than pay for that amount of wattage. You can't open er clock your cpu or memory, you are likely getting a 150W gpu. Truth be told you don't need 500W.
Can you the website of retail store I put link above, and find the PSU, then tell me. Cause when I searched that site, I can't find good PSU in that price range, that are semi modular or full modular that are at least 80 Plus Bronze or above.

- - - Updated - - -

Like ED said, I would recommend changing the PSU to a lower watt but higher quality unit. It is a foundational component and you don't want to cheap on it. The Corsair CX series is serviceable but you can do better for approximately the same amount of money since you don't need nearly 750 watts.

Another recommendation I have is changing the 1TB spinner hard drive for a smaller SSD, at least if you don't need a lot of storage space. Truth be told, most people don't come close to using 1 TB of storage space. There are exceptions of course, particularly those who archive a lot of pictures and music. But an SSD will give your computer a performance shot in the arm in everyday computing like nothing else. The computer will boot and load programs in a fraction of the time it would when using a spinner hard drive. Look at changing that spinner hard drive for a 240-256gb SSD.

Finally, you have no video card listed. Will the games you list run acceptably on the processor's built-in GPU? I'm not a gamer so maybe some other forum members can chime in here.
I chose HDD, cause my budget is $600 lower for total price including tax.

I live in USA, so, sales tax is addition to price.

Also the component that I didn't listed, I already have/ going to use what I already have.

Also, if you seen what I'm going to use this PC for (All the Sims 3 and Sims 4) which needs lots of storage to store, I need that 1TB space.

Also, please check the above post for the retail store website for PSU and tell me what to recommend, cause that website, is where I always buy and I have to buy what they are actually selling.

Last edited:
Back