• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED [Research Purpose] Skylake/6 Gen CPU and PSU Compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All you have to do is go there and type in what I named... that is how I found it. But trents did it anyway. ;)

Learn to fish... give a fish......lol!

http://www.frys.com/product/8958813?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG Maybe I should list the Sales tax that will be applied in USA, so that total price with sales tax doesn't exclude $600 or less. So, I will now calculate price again for the PSU that are recommended and see if it goes less then $600.

http://www.frys.com/product/8958893?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PGIs it Haswell Compatible PSU? Cause I'm only looking at PSU that at least have Haswell Compatible PSUs.

Yes, its haswell compatible....... both.

If you learned anything here is that it doesn't matter much (haswell compatible)... keep your head out of the minutia and grab one of those two linked. :)

Yes, its haswell compatible....... both.

If you learned anything here is that it doesn't matter much (haswell compatible)... keep your head out of the minutia and grab one of those two linked. :)

This link shows the graphics card that is required for Sims 3 game: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements.

As you can see, to play with all the Expansion Packs, for NVIDIA, I need at least GeForce GTX 650 Ti / Boost or higher.

And if I see the graphics card spec on NVIDIA for "GeForce GTX 650 Ti / Boost (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650ti-boost/specifications)", it says, Minimum System Power Requirement (W)4: 450 W

So, I can't use: http://www.frys.com/product/8958893?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG.

Also, sales tax that I have to apply are: 8.75% or 9% from total price.

So, I applied sales tax in the calculation including EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 Power Supply as replacement: $603.50 after including 8.75% Sales tax, and for the price after 9% sales tax: $604.88

So, cause of total price goes over $600, I will be sticking the PSU that I chose previously.

*P.S: So, now this thread is marked as solved. Thanks for all your helps.

Last edited:
Sorry... what card do you have? A 650ti plus that system you listed? Man, you won't be breaking 250W.. the 450w is fine if you like. Maybe see if the evga 500b fits your budget.

Sorry... what card do you have? A 650ti plus that system you listed? Man, you won't be breaking 250W.. the 450w is fine if you like. Maybe see if the evga 500b fits your budget.
It's fine.

No, that is what the Sims 3 game and all its Expansion Pack requires to have.

I have GeForce GTX 660.

Fry's Electronics, they have 450B, but not 500B

Your card running full tilt is 140W Max. Usually it will be less than what it's rated when gaming. Your cpu is a 45W dual core when it's fully loaded. Add in the rest, say 50W, you won't be breaking 250W. 450b is plenty for this build if you want. ;)

Your card running full tilt is 140W Max. Usually it will be less than what it's rated when gaming. Your cpu is a 45W dual core when it's fully loaded. Add in the rest, say 50W, you won't be breaking 250W. 450b is plenty for this build if you want. ;)
For EVGA 450B, cause of PC case that I use, I want semi-modular or full modular, at least 80 Plus Bronze, cause I can't offered to have cables in ITX PC Case, which I should have mentioned from the beginning that I have ITX/mini-ITX case that is this: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced.

Sorry for late mentioning of my case.

Last edited:
I said 450B in my last post, not 500. ;)

So NOW you say you want modular, lol, ok! Just in case you missed it, that 750w corsair isn't modular either. Yeah, you'd want modular in that thing. Not sure if frys has any psus in your budget that are modular that are worth it...I can't believe $4 is going to crumble a build costing $600. Pack lunch twice.. done! :)

Last edited:
I said 450B in my last post, not 500. ;)

So NOW you say you want modular, lol, ok! Just in case you missed it, that 750w corsair isn't modular either. Yeah, you'd want modular in that thing. Not sure if frys has any psus in your budget that are modular that are worth it...I can't believe $4 is going to crumble a build costing $600. Pack lunch twice.. done! :)
REALLY?
Damn it, then I chose wrong PSU, cause when I chose that PSU, which was several years ago, there was the modular version of it.
Forget about CX750 then, sorry for confusion.
I was meaning modular/semi modular/full modular.

Cx750m would be my guess...and I don't see it there. Look for a lesser wattage CX series psu. But if you hit $80... I'd go for the much higher quality unit in the 550 g2 (it's modular).

Cx750m would be my guess...and I don't see it there. Look for a lesser wattage CX series psu. But if you hit $80... I'd go for the much higher quality unit in the 550 g2 (it's modular).
That PSU is sold out, according to website.

Unless I actually go that store to check out, cause even Fry's Electronics staff told me not to trust their website, cause it isn't updated to latest stocks.

So, even it says sold out, sometimes, it might be there.

I found this: Antec HCG-520M 520w Modular ATX Power Supply. If I choose that, the total cost without sales tax will be $544.92 and total cost with sales tax will be $592.62.

But is Antec HCG-520M 520w Modular ATX Power Supply good or what?

Last edited:
Yeah, that Antec should do you just fine. Antec has a been around for a long time and is a reputable PSU mfg. If you are using one of those small cube cases you really do want a modular PSU. You will get better air flow.

Dude, you are obsessing over all this. Must be your first build.

Yeah, that Antec should do you just fine. Antec has a been around for a long time and is a reputable PSU mfg. If you are using one of those small cube cases you really do want a modular PSU. You will get better air flow.

Dude, you are obsessing over all this. Must be your first build.
Uhh.... No, it isn't my first build, I have building for long time and my College Major was Computer Network Electronics Technology. So, I have built my PC for plenty of times.

It's jut that I already have Powerful Main PC:
* 1x Thermaltake Core X9 (CA-1D8-00F1WN-00)
* 1x Corsair RM Series RM850 PSU
* 1x Intel Core i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, 3.5 GHz, up to 3.90 GHz)
* 1x Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) Motherboard
* 1x Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8G (2x4G) DDR3-1600 Memory (Fry’s Electronics)
* 1x Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Came with CPU)
* 1x ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
* 1x Samsung 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SATA III Internal SSD
* 1x Seagate ST31500341AS 3.5" 7200.11 1.5TB SATA300 32MB 7200rpm

I just want my 2nd mini-ITX PC, I just don't have money to spend more then what I listed as budget for this time around.

Cause this mini-ITX PC is only for playing Sims 3, it's Expansion Pack (For Making custom worlds and test CCs) and Sims 4

Last edited:
It isnt haswell certified as is your requirement (though, I wouldn't worry about it...worst case disable the deep c states). Is it modular???

Lol, you really dont.. but whatevs... :)
If only, " EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 Power Supply" hasn't been sold out, I would have decide to over spend $3 USD or more...

Oh, well.

Guess I will hold on for building this PC for a while then, unless the price of PSU and have their stocks in retail store.

IMO you are making way too big a deal over this "Haswell compatible thing." That surprises me in view of the fact you say you have all this training and experience with regard to building PCs.

We have tried to help but you seem not to be trusting our advice. So I'm not sure why you keep soliciting it.

Back