• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reseating Cooling Block would require new Paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hello I have an H80i and I'm not so happy with the temps

Non overclockers 4790K at 40+ C in idle.

I found one solution is to remove and check if paste in good contact with block.

I never used other paste and only stock paste was used.

Question is, if I remove it, do I have to take the entire paste off block and CPU and use new paste? :?

Regards

Hello I have an H80i and I'm not so happy with the temps

Non overclockers 4790K at 40+ C in idle.
I found one solution is to remove and check if paste in good contact with block.
I never used other paste and only stock paste was used.
Question is, if I remove it, do I have to take the entire paste off block and CPU and use new paste? :?
Regards

yes

However.. idle temps mean nothing
temps & especially load temps only mean something in reference to ROOM temp.

If your room is 35°C, then idle temps of 40°C are very good,
If your room is 15°C, then idle temps of 40°C are very bad

The cause might be that your PC is not "breathing" , if you have no (fresh) airflow through the PC, then the H80 cant do its work
Remove the side panel/door of the PC and see if the temps are better.
Since you're in Dubai, i assume you have A/C

Also, is the H80 set ot exhaust or intake (intake is better)

However, you'll have to install HWmonitor and post a screenshot (after a prime load)
Also a picture of your setup with the door removed will help

Last edited:
Remove the existing paste from the block and CPU with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. You should continue rubbing and reapplying until the cloth comes away clean.

People have, however, reported that the Corsair AIO's give BETTER temps with the preapplied thermal pad vs using your own thermal paste, so if it was infact a bad mount, and you have to remount, you will be in a worse situation after reapplying paste than you would be with a good mount with the original pad. Not by much, a degree, maybe two.

Remove the existing paste from the block and CPU with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. You should continue rubbing and reapplying until the cloth comes away clean.

+1

I am hearing more and more about this chips running hot so be aware. Can you tell us what the Temps on load are along with the ambient temp.

Also, what case do you have and how is your airflow configured along with the H80i.

OP- could your temps be bad because you live in Dubai? If you don't have air conditioning it stands to reason that you'll have terrible temps because you are so close to the equator.

OP- could your temps be bad because you live in Dubai? If you don't have air conditioning it stands to reason that you'll have terrible temps because you are so close to the equator.

hehe, no no sir. I have AC and it's cold in here. We nearly never ever open the windows :p 22C and drops to 18C in night in my room. Even in night or day, CPU is 40C Idle :(

Idle temps mean nothing. What really counts, are the temps under stress. Run Prime 95.

The paste that comes with the Corsair aio's, I believe is Shin-etsu. Get yourself some decent paste, so you are able to remount.

You have great ambient temps, especially for your location. I would try running Prime95 for 30 mins and report your temps using RealTemp. Yeah I agree, all it matters is the load temps.

A new paste will only knock of a few degrees. Also, if you choose to get new TIM, its possible the new TIM plus the re-seat will get you better load temps.

As for your settings, make sure you can lower your voltage as much as you can on stock. Sometimes leaving the BIOS on auto CPU voltage might give you more than enough voltage needed to run at stock settings which will result in higher temps.

You've been told in your previous thread, that your temps are normal. You should have fans at the front of your case, acting as intake, and the ones at the rear, acting as exhaust.

When I remounted my hacked little heat sink, I used Vasoline as a thermal paste, perhaps that's my problem?
the Water temperature in my Mason Jar is 113 F.

Sometimes I have to put Ice cubes in it.
I'm in Florida, and, here in the workshop, temps skyrocket. I have to worry about my own cooling more sometimes.

I'm running to Honeywell turbo fans to my face.......intake....AND..exhaust!

_____FACE!

Yup. I originally ignored the thermal paste, not really knowing what I was doing.

And she kept shutting off. (it shuts off before it super overheats)

Then I used vaseline, and I haven't had a problem since .

A very thin layer of course. but it seems to work.

I'd recommend TIM for thermal paste. Not sure how well vaseline transfers heat to the block.

Wondering what is your ambient temp and temps on the CPU while using this vaseline.

Yup. I originally ignored the thermal paste, not really knowing what I was doing.

And she kept shutting off. (it shuts off before it super overheats)

Then I used vaseline, and I haven't had a problem since .

A very thin layer of course. but it seems to work.

:facepalm:

You should really be more careful. You should also REALLY wipe that vaseline off and use some proper thermal paste. You should also start your own thread, as this is sort of threadjacking at this point, even though it's related.

Check out Noctua NTH1, Shin Etsu, Arctic MX2, MX4

Can't go wrong with Arctic MX-4!

That's my fav. Spreads like a nice margarine.

Just discussing the efficacy of Vaseline as thermal paste.

{ Alot of people are doubting it and suggesting otherwise. }

// But if you're in a jam, and don't have access to thermal paste, like me.
because there is no comp store, and ebay is too far away.......
So we know that it's possible but no thorough investigations or scientific data

:: Ambient Temperature is 91-93 F.
(( the reason overheating in the first place ( it's a shop with no AC buring in the sun)))
:: CPU core temperature is unavailable because there is no thermo couple for the cpu
:: I measure the water temperature thats in the water resevoir and it varies between ..........94 F and 107-111 F
:: It has not experienced any thermal event shut downs since the application of the Vaseline:: (which it did before the vaseline)
:: it has been pointed out that vaseline is suitable as a TEMPORARY thermal paste,
;; Temporary Because the vaseline will eventually dry out

; I can confirm this rumor, as after removing my heatsink today I found that it was slightly evaporated
;; Though I expected that because I applied only a very thin layer .
;; taking my heatsink off is extremely easy and quick so it's not a problem to experiment
;; Today I applied a more generous amount in hopes of greater heat transfer, longer lasting
ll I wont mention it again until''

I get more empirical data

;; Also, I poured the liquid from old ( Instant Cold Packs)
;; and am using that as a coolant

;; I'll make a seperate post for this when I get more numbers

Back