• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reuse of win7 key after upgrade to 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My little edit was referring to recycling a key if, for example, one computer breaks and an entirely new one is activated with the old key, not simultaneous activation. An error on my part, I forgot the context of two machines in working condition having their windows installations activated with one key at the same time.

Then what about the phone activator? If you want to say the product key on the box or in your digital receipt is only to be used once, that's fine. But is it so wrong to use the same CD over and over and simply call the phone system? Each time you install windows a different code to give to the automated system is generated. In that sense, the code is the product key, and it's different every time. Is that still an issue?

In that sense, the code is the product key, and it's different every time. Is that still an issue?

I think those codes are always present and decrypted when called upon. If the product key used was genuine then it will decrypt properly. Then the phone code is matched to its mate in M$ databases. When you punch in the return code it is like a force override for the Genuine check.

I think those codes are always present and decrypted when called upon. If the product key used was genuine then it will decrypt properly. Then the phone code is matched to its mate in M$ databases. When you punch in the return code it is like a force override for the Genuine check.

I've foregone the product key entirely before simply because I knew the product key wouldn't work since it had been used too many times and used the phone activator straight away. Also done this when I set up a system that doesn't have ethernet drivers installed and can't verify the key.

I've foregone the product key entirely before simply because I knew the product key wouldn't work since it had been used too many times and used the phone activator straight away. Also done this when I set up a system that doesn't have ethernet drivers installed and can't verify the key.

Attachments

• 1484420253604.jpg
    1484420253604.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 228
A classic example of rationalization.

If you read the microsoft end user license statements for retail versions of Windows it clearly says that the license is to be used for one machine at a time. If the license is used to upgrade to a later OS then the license is still in use on that machine. To then take that license to install the original OS on another machine is using it twice. With OEM Windows licenses the license to use the OS is stated in the license agreement to be legal for use only on the machine it was originally shipped with and installed on.

Now, you and I may not agree with these microsoft license rules but obviously they have been scrutinized by attorneys and magistrates and found to be legal.

Technically, you do not own the license when you buy a copy of windows. You buy the right to use it according to the licensing rules stipulated by the author.

Sounds like you should change over to Apple where the OS is free. You can download it onto any Mac, put it on a thumb drive and then create as many hackintosh's for personal use as you want.

....one of many reasons why I'm a Linux fan. ;)

Back